⌞ twenty-five : race day ⌝

" Take that podium with pride, you deserve the spotlight. "

___

I paced as I waited for the car that was supposed to take me to the track. Practice and qualifying were easy, but race day always made me trip. And the fact that I wasn't allowed to go with Nico and Lewis, made it even worse. I was told that I would be picked up but I was still standing here. I was about to just walk to the damn track. Heels or not. 

But right as I was about to finally lose my last straw, a black Mercedes pulled up and it was Roman. 

"Miss. Eilulia, I am so sorry. Traffic was bloody awful." 

He got out of the car and held out his hand to help me down the steps. I thanked him as he held the door for me. I slid into the backseat and let him get in. 

"It's truly no worries, Roman. I was just getting worried." 

He snorted. "I promise to get you there on time, Miss." 

I nodded as we pulled back into traffic to get to the track. I forced myself to take a deep breath. The race hadn't started, I trusted Roman to get me there on time. I had everything that I needed. All was going to be okay. Nothing could go wrong today. It was Silverstone. It was a sunny day. No rain. No variables that were out of control. 

___

"There you are! What took you so long?" 

I glared at Lewis as I ran across the pit lane to get to the garage. "You're fucking car was late." 

"Language, young one." 

I turned around to see Toto. My smile grew as the older gentleman pulled me into a hug. I relaxed into it before pulling back when he did. He patted my head and pointed to a chair next to who I assumed was Lewis's engineer. 

"Your spot for the race, my dear." 

"I get to sit down here?" 

"Of course, you do." 

I crashed into him, squeezing as tight as I could. I smiled as he hugged me back, chuckling a bit at my reaction. As I pulled back to go set my stuff down in my chair, I could hear something he said to Lewis. She's opening up.

It hit somewhere in my chest. I didn't realize how much I had changed in the few months I had been interacting with the people here. Lewis and Nico were bringing out a sense of lightness that I hadn't felt in forever and Toto was spoiling me like a grandfather would. It, in a weird sense, was like a little family in this garage. 

"Lu, come here." 

I looked up at Lewis and took a few steps over to him. He pulled me into a side hug and I just leaned into it, resting my head on his shoulder. Lewis quickly kissed my forehead before speaking. 

"I got you something, well. Sort of." 

I raised an eyebrow and he grabbed my hand, leading me towards his car. I followed, trying to figure out what is was. There was no way he was giving me the car, I doubt that was something he could do and I think he could sense my confusion because he chuckled.