⌞ twenty-seven : lessons ⌝

" No no no- No, this can't be real- please, no... "

___

Monte Carlo, there wasn't a better place on Earth. Even during the winter, I couldn't find a reason to hate this place. It was just... perfect. Past perfect. I don't think anyone could understand the love I had for this little place. It would always have a piece of my heart. 

I didn't groan as my alarm went off. I had planned on getting up early, wanting to go to the market before it got busy for the day. I needed some things that I only got here and I enjoyed it more when it was just me and the city, waking up. 

I got out of bed and connected my phone to my headphones. The soft music filled my ears as I started to grab my clothes from the closet. I opted for something a bit warmer. With the market being closer to the shore, and the sun barely peaking her face above the waves, the air would have a chill to it. A nice pair of pants, a blouse, a petite coat, and a beret. Easy, simply beautiful.

I knew that Jules would be awake and I was right. He was sitting on the balcony with a coat and his coffee. I smiled and walked over to him, bending down to kiss his cheek. 

"Morning, Luls." 

"Morning, Juju." 

"Market day?" 

"You know me." I rested against him. "Why are you out here?" 

"I wanted some of that peace you always seemed to find out here." 

I nodded. "Something bothering you?" 

"Just a feeling. Haven't been able to get rid of it." 

I nodded again, knowing what he meant. I came out here for that reason all the time and usually, it worked. I hoped that it would for him too. It was always weird for me to see Jules like this. I was used to him being bubbly and full of smiles. To see him in a state of anxiety or just general apathy was disheartening. 

"I'll bring you back one of those pastries you like." 

"I do not deserve your love, dear Luls. Be safe." 

He nudged my shoulder and I smiled at him back before getting up and walking towards the door. I rushed down the stairs, just wanting to be out in the city. The slight tinge of salt from the sea, the smell of fresh bread and pastries, and perfumes from the flower stalls. This was what home smelt like. I crossed the street, heading towards the market and I couldn't feel more at peace. Nothing could ever go wrong while I was in Monte Carlo.

___

I hummed slightly to myself as I walked up the stairs. I was able to get everything I needed, plus some more and I had made sure not to forget the pastries for Jules. I hoped that he was able to find that peace he was so desperate for and if not, I hoped I could do little things to take some of that weight off. 

I unlocked the door, not looking up as I put the keys back in my pocket. "Ju, I'm back! I got a couple of the things I know you like but you don't have to have them-" 

I finally glanced up and I almost dropped all of my stuff as I saw who was sitting at the bar. I had to look shocked because both Lewis and Nico looked like they were trying not to laugh at me. I carefully set all my stuff on the floor before running over to them. They had seconds to get out of their chairs, all three of us hugging.