03

The light in the oldest Winchesters room let out a rhythmic buzz, flickering every few seconds.

Cas figeted with the button on Dean's flannel as he lay on his chest, a small smile on his lips. Dean chuckled dryly, his voice husky with sleep.

"Having fun?" The hunter murmured, tracing his fingers through Cas' hair.

"It'd be a lot funner if you didn't have this on."

Dean rolled his eyes, but the small smile playing on his lips was prominent.

They lay in comfortable silence for a while, simply basking in each other's presence. Dean was the first to break it.

"Hey," Dean said softly, his finger lingering on a worry line etched between Cas' brows. "Is everything alright?"

The angel sighed softly, resting his hand on Dean's chest. "It's Alexander," He confessed.

Concern etched lines on Dean's face. "What about Alexander?"

"It's about the stuff I mentioned earlier. The things me and him had to take care of while he was staying here."

"Do you- do you know about the stuff?" Dean questioned.

Cas took his bottom lip inbetween his teeth, nibbling nervously. "Yes, I know a bit about it."

A heavy silence descended upon them. The lightness of moments ago had evaporated, replaced by concern.

"Is it- is it something me and Sam can help with? You know we would." Dean replied, his angel shaking his head.

"I wish, but- but I don't want you to be a part of it."

°•■•°𝕱𝖔𝖗𝖇𝖎𝖉𝖉𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖗𝖆𝖈𝖊°•■•°

"Sam, I'm worried about Cas."

"That's one hell of a conversation starter," Sam muttered in the passenger seat, Dean shooting him a glare as he drove the Impala down the highway. "Sorry, sorry. What's going on?"

"It's about that new angel, Xander, or whatever. Cas didn't really say much about it, but from what I could tell, they're dealing with some tough shit." Dean replied, attempting to focus more on the merging cars than the conversation.

Sam took a deep breath, clearing his throat. "I'm assuming he didn't tell you anything about what it was?" Dean shook his head.

"Maybe you should talk to Xander. He seems to be warming up to you more than he is for me." The older hunter suggested his younger brother rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, he's warming up quicker to me because the first time you two met, you pretty much said you wanted him out."

This time, Dean rolled his eyes. "You always make me seem so hostile." "You always are so hostile."

"I'm just saying, man, I mean, this is Cas we're talking about. If this Xander guy is so important to him, I wanna help. I just don't know how."

The two were submerged in silence as they both thought about the situation at hand.

"I'll talk to Alexander, but I'm not sure how much he'll tell me."

°•■•°𝕱𝖔𝖗𝖇𝖎𝖉𝖉𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖗𝖆𝖈𝖊°•■•°

Sam sat across from Alexander in the library, keeping his eyes on his research while the angel did the same. The hunter hoped he wouldn't have to sit here too long before he got the opportunity to talk to the angel, but it had been over an hour, and not a word had been spoken other than a small greeting at the beginning of it.