Chapter 34

Cassandra

I speed through the crowds of the castle until I reach my room, feeling like everything around is moving on at least 5x speed.

It felt like, at first, I'd had my world frozen, that my entire life stood still the minute a new light shone down. It wasn't a light like in those books or shows, the ones where it feels like a brand new world opens up and it feels good, this light didn't feel like that, it was bright and made me nauseous, it felt like it burned and in no way do I associate that with 'good'.
It's like it was more of a beam, stripping me of everything fake yet normal about my life and left me a brand new, but not a brand new I was ready for.

A brand new I wanted... Well that's a different story.

I waste no time in throwing together my things into cardboard boxes, not that I have much, because I can't bare to spend another second in this place, in this room, in this kingdom. It's all so sickenly sweet I feel like I'm gonna throw up any minute.
Kind of like I've not eaten anything beside sugar in years, and craving the taste of something salty, something savoury, something hot and spicy even.

Anything. Anything else.

Just as in close to having all my things together, which has only taken up a single box, I hear a knock at my door.

"Who is it?"

Please don't be Rapunzel, please don't be Rapunzel.

Please be Rapunzel, please be Rapunzel.

"it's uh- it's-"

Did he break? Did he forget his own fucking name? Or does he just not know how to address himself anymore?

Whatever.

"Come on in I guess, but be fucking quick." I say mildly, opening up the door and resuming my packing. And the captain just watches me awkwardly from the doorway, clearly not sure on what he's meant to say.

Honestly, why'd he even go after me? It's not like I'm in any way a favorite of his. He hates me.

"where are you going to go?" he finally asks, breaking a perfectly good silence. I stand up straight and sigh, leaving the box full but not yet sealed.
"I don't know, and honestly? I don't care. Just somewhere that isn't this place, I'll be happy then. I can't deal with all the two faces pricks in this town." sugar coating is overrated, there's enough sugar to coat every sentence anyone ever says, but we've already established I'm not like everyone here, so I'm not coating my words anymore to protect literal backstabbers.
"can't you stay and reconsider? I know they lied and I know-"
"they didn't just fucking lie, don't just say it as if I'm being overdramatic, they withheld important truth from a child that needed it the most. A child that was never given enough, and never knew why." I spit, my teeth gritted and my arms folded across my chest.

There was a pause, one to long for my liking.

"And who's gonna miss me here? I'm pretty sure everyone is out celebrating-" Her name forms on the tip of my tongue, but it doesn't want to leave. "her welcome home party. I could walk out right in front of everyone now and they could care less."
"That's not true, Cassandra." that response was quick for him.
"of course you'd say that, it's what they want you to say, you know, the reason they sent you up here? To keep me put?" my left foot starts to tap, showing how impatient I'm getting, showing how much I'm itching to just run.
"They didn't send me up here, I came up on my own account."