Stranger Danger

Chapter 2 - Stranger Danger

Filled with a shivery thrill of fear, spurred on by debilitating curiosity, I followed the newly familiar maze of dim hallways – each one churning with the warm bodies of students – until finally, I laid eyes on him.

At first glance he looked normal. Dressed like most of the guys at school, he wore a pair of dark blue baggy jeans, black high tops, and a humongous black hoodie. The way he had the hood pulled up and covering his head so completely, made it nearly impossible to see his face.

I narrowed my eyes in an attempt to pierce his hidden deep within the recesses of the hood, but it was no use. His eyes were lost to shadows. With the exception of towering over everyone else, he probably wouldn't have stood out at all.

To anyone else, that is.

He didn’t notice me. At least, not right away. The way he stood so impossibly still made him seem frozen, until he turned unexpectedly in my direction and caught me staring. My first reaction was to drop my head and pretend I wasn't, but between the deer-caught-in-headlights look on my face, plus the fact that I was the only person not moving in the crowded hallway…well, let’s just say I couldn't have been more obvious. Especially the way everyone kept bumping into me like a human roadblock. I would've moved to avoid being trampled, but I was too focused on the nearly seven-foot tall hulking figure, looming threateningly across from me to be bothered enough to get out of the way.

As his continuing stare stilled my limbs, something about his darkened face sent another round of fresh chills chasing down my spine.

I allowed my gaze to sweep hesitantly over the faces of students who, oblivious to any danger, were going peacefully about their business. Then, returning his stare, it became clear from the way he never broke eye contact – not to mention the creepy vibe I'd picked up on  – that this stranger was the hawk...and I was his prey.

The warning bell sounded, signaling the beginning of fifth hour. My body filled with heat as a rush of electric tension, flowing unexpectedly through my veins like an adrenaline pump, made the sudden slamming of metal locker doors sound more like gunshots.

I jumped at the noise. A lot. The only thing that saved me from coming clean out of my Reeboks, was the fact that they were suctioned to my feet.

For some strange reason I wasn't exactly afraid of him, but knew that I should've been, and that's what scared the hell out of me.

Get a grip, Chaos,” I thought to myself, shaking off the nerves. He was probably just playing around in an effort to scare me. After all, Halloween was less than a week away. If that was the case and he'd come here just to yank my chain, he was going to wish he hadn't.

I don't do playful.

Lowering my chin, I narrowed my eyes and waited for the coast to clear. Within a matter of seconds, every student in the bustling hallway disappeared into their classrooms. With the exception of me, of course. 

I was already so pissed-off that I didn't care if I insulted the intruder before discovering why he'd invaded my turf.

“Hey there, Freakzilla. Did you dress up for a special occasion, or are you hiding under that hood because you're really just that ugly?” As I waited for his reply, I didn't attempt to hide my humor.

I should have.

His answer came in the form of a low, bass growl as hot, fetid breath roared from his mouth like a sewer blast.

God, he could seriously use some tic-tacs!

My stomach twisted with revulsion. I fought hard to keep from puking my guts out, and won. Remaining upright, but barely as the lingering putrid smell grew in sickening waves until it nearly burned my eyeballs.