Battle of Wills

Chapter 39 - Battle of Wills

I remembered very little of the drive. The closer I got to the castle, the more my nerves got to me. I wasn't worried about seeing Vycandor again. No. I was more worried about seeing my friends. As much as I hated to admit it, Serenity hadn't told me how to save them because there was no bringing back zombies from the dead. So, now, not only was I on a mission to destroy Vycandor, I was also on a mission to destroy the castle - along with every zombie dwelling inside.

Even my friends.

Besides, I couldn't sit by and allow them to roam the earth while feeding off the living. They deserved better than that. They deserved to be put to rest. I just didn't want to be the one to have to do it.

I went over Serenity's instructions in my head for not only raising the power, but controlling it as well. And, in case my power failed, at least I had back up. If you could even call it that. Outfitted in more leather than a cow, I had the protection of the armor. Also, I reminded myself, I had my trusty squirt gun...in case I got thirsty.

I parked the car in the same place as I found it and got out, closing the door as quietly as possible.

There were no outside lights on, but it wasn't completely dark just yet. What little I could see of the moon peeking in and out of the clouds cast an unearthly light as I crept across the lawn - careful to keep to the shadows.

Silhouetted against the dying sunlight the Kalamazoo Castle looked hauntingly magnificent.

I smiled to myself. It was sure to look even better burning in a blaze of glory. And I was just the one to do it.

Finally reaching the porch, the ancient wood squeaked under my feet. Perched angrily on either side of the castle door to greet me were two ominous looking gargoyle statues. As I slowly crept inside, tip-toeing across the foyer, the wooden floors groaned and complained with every tentative step.

I was a fool if I thought I was sneaking up on anyone.

Making my way to the grand staircase, I decided to search for Vycandor's lair. Call me crazy, but I didn't think I would find it on the first floor. No. Something told me it would be deeper than that. Much, much deeper.

Did I mention I hate basements?

Something out of the corner of my eye caught my attention. I turned in the direction and saw an eerie red light emitting from behind a door almost completely hidden by a bookshelf.

A secret passageway.

I slid the door open further to find a narrow curved staircase that looked like it descended straight into the bowels of hell. Hesitant, my boots scraped across the stone as I eased carefully down the steep staircase. Before long something sticky touched my face and arms. I strangled a scream and vigorously brushed cobwebs out of my way, hoping beyond hope that they weren't crawling with spiders.

Heart slamming against my chest, I lost my footing and fell the rest of the way down the stairs, landing in a dusty heap at the bottom. Shaking the cobwebs from my brain, not to mention my hair, I raised my head and found myself in a tunnel lit by torches anchored to carved stone walls.

I got up, brushed myself off, and tried to decide which way to go. I turned to the right - oddly drawn by an unseen force I couldn't resist. Apprehension growing with each tentative step, I found myself standing outside a massive door that looked suspiciously a lot like the door to a dungeon.

Taking a deep breath, I reached for the ancient handle and turned it. The latch clicked, echoing loudly as it released from the catch. I pushed on the heavy, iron bound door. It creaked slowly open like a lid lifting off a coffin.