Dressed To Kill

Chapter 35 - Dressed To Kill

"After you've showered, you can change and then get ready for training," Serenity announced, sweeping her gaze over me.

I eyed her suspiciously. "Ready, how?"

"You cannot wear that to challenge Vycandor."

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" I said in a huff, unwilling to give up the dress that Carmen had given me. "I don't have anything else to wear. And besides..." I opened my mouth, trying hard to think of another excuse.

She put up a hand to cut me off. "Just follow me."

Glaring at her, I snapped my mouth shut. But only because I didn't think it was smart to argue with a witch.

As Serenity weaved through the house with me in tow, I couldn't help staring at all the magical type stuff. There were rows and rows of crystal balls, black iron cauldrons, broom sticks, chalices, tarot cards, dream catchers, and handmade gemstone jewelry. She even had bookcases stuffed full with beautiful crystals. Despite all the colors and sizes, I only recognized glittery quartz and sparkling amethyst.

My eyes danced with excitement. Everything seemed so...so magical.

One wall held shelves lined with tiny packages of herbs and vials of oils. Another wall held shelves stuffed with books from top to bottom. One book in particular caught my eye because it sat all by itself on a table draped in a deep purple velvety looking material. Larger than all of the other books, it appeared truly elegant in its simplicity. Painted a glossy black, the thick cover appeared as if it had been handmade entirely out of wood. Along the left side of the binding were three brass hinges. On the right was a brass clasp with a large old fashioned padlock. There were no words on the cover, only a shiny brass pentacle.

For some strange reason I couldn't stop staring at it. I'd only seen books like it in movies. Never in real life.

"It's called a Book of Shadows," Serenity called over her shoulder without me having to ask.

Across from the bookshelves stood a lighted display case full of wands. Curious, I wandered over to take a look and picked one up.

"Is this a wand like in Harry Potter?" It felt amazing in my hands. Like it really was full of magic. "I could do some serious damage if I had my very own wand." Waving it around in the air, I thought about Brian and Mindee. "Can these be used to put a hex on someone?"

Serenity appeared suddenly at my side, making me jump. I could only stare as she took the wand out of my hand and carefully placed it back in the display case.

"I'm sorry, but these are not toys." Her voice sounded like a warning.

"Do they really work?"

"Under the right circumstances and with proper training, yes. They really work." She spun around, flipping her long hair at me and glided away.

"I was only kidding." Geez lady, take a pill already.

I followed her into yet another room, this one full of candles and every variety of incense. The combination of familiar aromas like precious lavender, patchouli, and dragon's breath created the most amazing fragrance I'd ever experienced. All I wanted to do was walk around and sniff everything.

Serenity disappeared inside a walk-in closet, only to re-emerge carrying a large white satin box. She handed it to me without saying a word.

"What's this?"