Blonde Headed Monster

Chapter 8 - Blonde Headed Monster

I tried to fall asleep that night, but it was no use. I got zero sleep. In the morning when my alarm had the nerve to go off, I got in a fight with the clock. At first, I tried to ignore the annoying buzzer by stuffing pillows over my head. When that didn't work I stuck my arm out without looking to feel  around on my night stand, fumbling to hit the stupid snooze button without success. Irritated, I finally got my hands on the obnoxious noisemaker and chucked it across the room.

That worked.

The alarm shut off. And the fact that the clock, now lying on the floor in a million pieces, was so totally not my fault. I can't be held responsible for anything I do before caffeine hits my blood stream.

Truth be told I've never been much of a morning person. And today...well, it's not that I was tired; I was just too pissed off to get up.

Unfortunately for me temper tantrums weren't built into my morning routine. So despite the fact that I was feeling even crankier than normal, I was also running late for school. I would’ve asked my mom for a ride, but she was already hard at work baking her little heart out like a freaking lunatic. Besides, I wasn’t in the mood to listen to her yammer on about my waking up late. Again.

Kicking off my blankets, I stumbled out of bed and glanced at the time on my cell. If I hurried, I could still make the stupid bus.

I followed my usual routine; shower, get dressed, brush teeth and comb hair except this morning, I did it all in fast-forward. Thankfully I’m no diva about appearances, so I skipped blow-drying my hair to save time.

Before I left the house I made sure to grab a couple of energy drinks. Guzzling them down one after the other, I made a mad dash for the bus. Something told me this was going to be a two-can kind of morning.

God bless caffeine.

I didn't bother to grab a coat and I didn't need to wear a hat. My heavy bangs kept the wind off my face just fine. Although, even I had to admit it was a bit nippy to be running around with freshly shampooed hair first thing in the morning.

Not quite freezing, but pretty damn close.

After my little talk last night with Thomas, I felt empowered. But that didn’t mean I was looking forward to going to school and facing the most annoying species of students on the planet.

When I got off the bus I decided to hang outside before the bell rang to enjoy the fresh air. As I waited I pretended not to notice the multitude of staring masses all whispering about me.

Not that I was surprised.

My school was like a bakery. All the gossip students could cook up and dish out – made fresh daily.

A group of girls hovering nearby started pointing at me and giggling. Either everyone had the same idea to wait outside before class, or they were all here to gawk at me. Nice to know I had entertainment value.

At first, the change in the courtyard was subtle. You wouldn’t have even noticed if you weren’t paying attention. Somewhere off in the distance a gasp sliced the air. Instinctively I knew Mindee McCarthy, the most popular girl in school, and the McClones (my nickname for her idiot friends) were making their usual rounds.

I glanced over my shoulder at the gossipy girls admiring Mindee as she passed them by. If she noticed their stares she didn’t show it. How Mindee managed to cram all that attitude into that tiny frame was a total mystery to me. With such a petite body, heart shaped face, huge bright blue eyes, and perfectly pouty lips, she looked like an adorably fragile little doll. But looks can be deceiving. Trust me, Mindee McCarthy was anything but fragile. And I don't mean in that tough-but-cute kind of way.