The Devil's Soupbowl

Chapter 36 - The Devil's Soupbowl

I turned to stare at my reflection in the full length mirror. The body armor, or what little there was of it, made my willowy figure look like I had curves in all the right places. Wearing it might not be so bad after all.

But I refused to admit it out loud.

"Do something with your hair," Serenity called over her shoulder. "I'm going to go change and then I'll meet you at the car."

She'd assumed, of course, that I had the ability to find my way through the maze she called a house.

Tired of being told what to do, I ignored my hair as usual. Leaning in to the mirror, I decided something was definitely missing. Fishing through stacks and stacks of make-up, I scored charcoal colored eyeshadow and thick black eyeliner – which I layered on extra, extra dark in case it pissed Serenity off as much as my mom.

Satisfied with the raccoon look, I pulled my hair over my face. Nothing seemed to irritate adults more than teenagers wearing heavy makeup and hair covering their faces.

I glanced in the mirror one more time at the creature staring back at me with the evil grin. I looked horrible. Horribly perfect, that is.

It took a few exasperated tries, but eventually I figured the way out of the house. Just as she'd promised, Serenity patiently waited for me beside the Jaguar. Wearing yet another floor length purple dress, she had a billowy black velvet cape draped over her shoulders with the hood pulled up.

I tried not to laugh. "Are you serious with that thing?"

She shrugged, turning around to face me. "So? I like capes."

When her eyes landed on mine, she frowned. No, scratch that. Not a frown exactly...more like an epic scowl.

Point for me.

I watched as she wrapped a long purple scarf around her neck. What is it with her and the color purple? I shook my head and prepared to start the engine.

There was just one tiny problem.

Without being angry or scared, I had absolutely no idea how to turn on the power. I just ended up waving my hands at it like some kind of crazed lunatic.

"What are you doing?" Serenity finally asked, lifting a brow.

"Trying to start the car. What does it look like I'm doing – knitting a sweater?"

She laughed. "Why don't you use the key?"

"Duh!" I rolled my eyes at her. "I would if I had one."

"Did you check the visor?" she asked calmly.

All I could do was glare at her. "Do you have any idea what kind of car this is? It's a Jaguar. Trust me, no one's going to be stupid enough to hide the keys in the..." Before I knew what was happening, Serenity reached inside and tossed me the keys. Never taking my eyes off hers, I caught them with one hand. "Visor," I finished.

She smiled. "Can we go now?"

I threw the keys back at her. "You drive. I don't know where I'm going." Before she had a chance to argue, I hopped in the passenger seat.

"Nice ride, by the way," she said, closing the door and removing her hood. Turning the key, she put the car in drive and took off squealing the tires.

I turned around and saw a thick cloud of smoke. "Um, how about we don't call attention to ourselves in a stolen vehicle?"

"Don't worry. The police won't bother us."