Not Just Dressed Like A Zombie

Chapter 31 - Not Just Dressed Like A Zombie

Vycandor reminded me of a deadly predator on the prowl, slowly searching for the hidden weaknesses of its enemy. Sleek, dark brown hair falling unhindered well beyond his broad shoulders, the color looked almost black in the glow of three immense crystal chandeliers hovering gracefully over the dance floor.

"Looks like we've got company," Carmen whispered, giving me a nudge.

I frowned no longer caring that it made the stitches swirling around my face burn. "He's looking at me like he knows it's my birthday and he wants to blow my candles out."

"You say that like it's a bad thing," Carmen replied with a grin.

"Permanently," I supplied, frown deepening.

Her mouth formed an "O" but no sound came out. Maybe she'd finally realized the danger we were in.

Then again, maybe not.

Suddenly she made an excuse to leave me alone with the predator. "I'm going to go get some punch. You want some?"

I turned all the way around so my back faced Vycandor in order to give her my best if-looks-could-kill glare.

Missing the message completely, she winked and said, "I'll take that as a yes."

I watched her saunter away in stunned silence, wondering the entire time how she didn't break a hip with a walk like that.

Vycandor cleared his throat to get my attention. "I'm so glad you could join my little get together, Chaos."

My mouth turned to cotton. How the hell did he know my name? Only then did it occur to me that he really had been expecting me just like Edgar had said.

I just didn't know why.

Mustering the courage to face him, I refused to meet his eyes. It was kind of hard to confront him by staring at the mass of frothy lace on his shirt, but I managed.

"How did you know I would come?"

He laughed softly in response – the disturbingly melodious sound meant to be purposefully enchanting. Something in my stomach stirred against my will. I wouldn't call it passion exactly, but close.

Oh, he was good. Very, very good.

But, I was better.

"Give it up Vycandor. You're little tricks won't work on me. What do you want?"

"Want?" he repeated, drawing out the word. "What I want, is you."

My turn to laugh. "I'm not the girl who falls in love with a vampire...uh, I mean a zombie, or whatever the hell you are. You're going to have to do better than that."

His voice turned icy. "Are you the girl who will fall on her sword for her friends?"

I sucked in my breath and looked up. I couldn't help it.

He wore a smile on his devilishly handsome face the way some people wore gloves. Meeting his eyes for the second time, I realized they weren't black at all – more of a dark green flecked with gold – and extremely cat-like. His skin, however, had a strange bluish tint to it that in an absurd kind of way only added to the angular planes of his face, making his features that much more breathtaking.

"I need someone to lead my soldiers into battle." Vycandor paused dramatically. "And, Chaos, I've chosen you. Congratulations."

Right then all I really, really wanted to know was where in the hell was Thomas when I needed him? Not that I blamed him for pulling a disappearing act, that is. He did try to stop me from coming to the castle in the first place. I totally deserved to be up to my eyeballs in trouble. But that didn't mean I had to like it.