To Dream or Not To Dream

Chapter 45 - To Dream or Not To Dream

My heart leapt to my throat. At first I thought I was seeing things. Blinking back hot tears that pooled in my eyes, now I knew for sure I was dreaming.

 “Come in, Chaos,” an all too familiar voice beckoned.

 My feet refused to move.

 Instead, I just stood out in the cold with my mouth hanging open, eyes wide staring in disbelief. I couldn’t wrap my mind around the person standing in the doorway.

“What’s the matter?” Thomas teased, giving me a smile that melted my heart. My favorite lopsided grin. “You look like you’ve just seen a ghost.”

Too stunned to even speak all I could do was continue to stare at him in utter disbelief, both confused and afraid of the unexplainable gravitational pull between us that left me breathless...and begging for more.

Reaching for my hand, he gently guided me inside. Somehow I followed, never taking my eyes off his. Vaguely aware of a crackling fire roaring nearby, blazing heat brushed against my cold skin leaving me covered in goose bumps.

 Thomas led me to a sofa placed directly in front of the fireplace and wrapped a quilt around my shoulders. A quilt that looked a heck of a lot like my quilt. Narrowing my eyes I sat down and stared at him harder. He looked so different from the last time I saw him. No longer transparent, his face actually had some color. Even his cheeks were a delicate shade of pink. But, perhaps what surprised me the most, was that he no longer had that strange angelic quality about him. In fact, he looked down right...human.

Picking up a white fluffy bath towel, he dipped one end in warm water and used it to remove the remaining mud from my face, neck, and arms, careful to avoid the ugly stitches. As he continued to wipe, I explored his mysterious hazel eyes in search of answers.

 For starters, like what in the hell was he doing hiding out in a cabin in the middle of the freaking woods?

 Finished wiping off all the mud, Thomas put down the towel and reached for my hands. Holding them in his, he gave me a gentle squeeze that sent shivers racing up and down my spine. I realized for the first time that I actually felt his touch. For once, it wasn't his otherworldly energy pressing in on me. It was him.

 My heart soared. I knew right then and there I never wanted this dream to end.

 As if reading my mind, he whispered, “You're not dreaming.”

 I rolled my eyes at him. “Of course I am,” I croaked. My throat felt scratchy like sandpaper. “Why else would you be here?” I resisted the urge to add, “Duh.” For once, I wasn't in the mood to torture him with my smart mouth. Maybe later.

 I leaned back against the sofa to silently study him. I had so many questions without the ability to ask them all.

 Thomas swung his arms open wide, beaming proudly. “I did all of this, for you.”

I raised an eyebrow, wincing when I said, “You built me a cabin?” It came out as more of a statement than a question.

Inexplicably, his mood shifted. The warmth I saw in his eyes only moments ago was now gone. In its place was something close to sadness, tempered by a truth he'd been trying hard to conceal.

 As it turns out, the truth was about to change everything.