A Remedy To My Tragedy

Chapter 48 - A Remdy To My Tragedy

“You're kidding, right?” Thomas cried, sounding thunderstruck.

I shook my head. “No.”

His tone softened, but only a little. “You really don't know, do you?”

This time, I didn't bother to reply. Instead, I placed a hand on my hip, stuck out my foot, and tapped it impatiently as I waited for him to compose himself.

It took forever.

Thomas gazed at me with a rawness in his eyes. “Your hair is just one of your many gifts.” Reaching over, he tucked my heavy bangs behind an ear before continuing. “It shines like a fiery beacon whenever you're really angry, or...” He paused, voice trailing off as if searching for the right words. “Or...when you're experiencing a great deal of passion.”

I groaned, shaking my hair free until it covered my entire face once again. Satisfied, I sulked at him from behind the scarlet curtain. “Gift my ass. Sounds more like a curse to me.”

A faint smile made one corner of his mouth curve slightly upwards. My heart did a flip-flop. If he had any idea how much he was torturing me with his lopsided grin, he didn’t show it.

With slow deliberation, causing my pulse to pound violently in my ears, he inclined his head toward mine. For a moment there, I thought he was going to kiss me. As usual, I had to go and run my mouth, ruining the moment.

Besides, I couldn't let him think he'd won. Could I? About the passion part, that is.

“I know this dress is your idea of a joke, right?”

Thomas blinked hard as if awakening from a dream. His eyes traveled slowly up and down my body, making me blush from head to toe. “Why, what's wrong with it?”

I cleared my throat. “For starters, I don't do white. And what's up with all the freaking lace? I look like I belong on top of a wedding cake.”

He shook his head in confusion. “Do you want me to make you something else to wear?”

My eyes went wide. “You can do that?”

“Of course. How else do you think you changed?”

I lifted a brow. “If it's so easy, then why don't you ever wear anything else?” Swallowing hard, my gaze swept over the top half of his naked body. “I mean, before now.”

He frowned. “What's wrong with the way I dress?”

I fought the urge to laugh. Too bad it didn't work. “The 50's called. They want their clothes back.”

The hurt expression that flashed on his face made me instantly regret the jab at his fashion sense. Or lack there of.

“Look, I didn't mean to offend you.” My turn to stumble all over my words. “It's just that...well, um...I've never worn anything like this.”

“I think you look beautiful.” Before I had a chance to argue, he added, “Come, there's something I want to show you.”

Heading away from the cliff, Thomas led me up a graceful hill. I watched spellbound as every species of butterfly fluttered delicately from flower to flower.

Once at the top, I had the most spectacular view of a crystal clear river that flowed from a majestic whispering waterfall. The uninterrupted radiance of the paradise surrounding me was almost too overwhelming in its breathtakingness.

Thomas pulled me down to sit beside him. Almost immediately, I picked up on a familiar scent. Outside, especially in the warmth of the sunshine, he smelled amazing.