MnM

I just wanna say I'm very tired and literally just finished the chapter so please excuse any mistakes. I will probably come back and fix those.

Recap: Asher and A.J and friend. Asher is blind athlete and now A.J is helping him get his life back on track by helping him learn how to play again. So last chapter Alex (A.J's older brother) devised a plan and got her to go out with her long time crush Carson Tanner, which you will see in this chapter. Oh and A.J and Asher almost kissed last chapter. Hope that rejogged some of your memories ^_^

Chapter eight: MnM

Today was a bright, sunny day. The birds were singing and there was a gentle breeze outside. Our Croatian neighbours had started the day by watering their plants like any other day. It seemed like any other day but it wasn't. It was THE day. The day when I finally went out on a semi date with my crush, Carson Tanner a basketball player at our school, Sterlingwood preparatory, home of the lions. Roar. I think, unenthusiastically. But before I can be whisked off I have to finish my shift at Create a cupcake. I pick up one of the delivery boxes of ingredients and take it to the back. The thing was heavier than it looked.

My eyes couldn't help but flicker over towards Asher who was manning the register, beside him stood Alex and waitressing around the store was Pierce. I wince as I notice the tension between the four of us. Things had been awkward with Asher and I since our mistaken almost kiss. At least I thought it was a mistake and I'm pretty sure he did too. Alex's notices my struggles and takes his sad eyes away from Pierce's body for a minute. He didn't think anyone realised how upset he was. Ha. I thought. He sidles up next to me and shooed me off to go help Asher at the register. Great. I think, sarcastically. I take my time getting round to the counter, my feet shuffling against the hardwood floor. My mother is too happy to notice the depressed looks we all had on our faces. Each one of us facing our own struggles and demons.

As I take my place next to Asher, I notice the goofy grin he had on his face. "Okay, I have another one. Two peanuts were walking down the street. One was a salted." He started chuckling at his own joke. I realised he thought I was Alex.

"It's me, Asher." I inform him. He sobers up. We haven't really spoken directly all day.

"Oh, hey A.J." He gives me an awkward little wave. Trust my brother to have a dad joke competition with Asher. I hear Pierce laugh at his joke though and I notice Alex stumble from the sound as he stares at her with bewilderment written all over his face. I turn my attention back on Asher. He looks tired and a bit restless.

"Hi." I say back, meekly. Awkward silence consumes the space between us. It seems weird that just a few days ago we'd been so close and were the ones making jokes between one another.

"A.J." He breathes out, his shoulder slumping, his face sad. "Look, I think it's time we talked. This." He said, motioning to the space between us.

"Is not how I want things to continue between us." He frustratedly runs his hands through his hair a couple of times, making the ends stick up. "After your shift." He says in a tone that leaves no room for arguments.

After that we worked in silence but it wasn't the usually awkward, uncomfortable silence that had been plaguing us for the last few days, but more comfortable with an underlying tension to it. Alex and Pierce kept glancing at us like we were the two most adorable children they have ever seen. I think it's the only time they have shared something like this together for a while so who was I to kill the moment. I certainly wanted my brother to patch up whatever happened between the pair. I love Pierce so much that at one point I tried to get them together so she could be my sister in law but it was obvious now to my more 'mature' self that it wasn't going to happen, neither one showed any romantic interest in the other which was a little disheartening because they'd be so damn good together.