Chapter Nineteen

Read the A/N at the end! It's sort of important. ;) And it could also be fun! ^_^ Enjoy, toffees :)

------------------------------------------------------------------

I say curled on my bed, unsure what to do while I waited.

Not even fifteen minutes into the wait, the computerised voice in my room informed me that I had a visitor.

Thinking I was being summoned to leave for work, I got up and headed to the door. When I allowed the visitor entrance, my door slid apart to show me coal and fire eyes. He stood tall, with his hands behind his back. His face expressionless, his dark hair was like silk against his forehead. My eyes shifted from him to look to Freesia, who was standing awkwardly next to him.

"Hey," I said, smiling at her.

"Um," Freesia looked from me to Rafe, before raising an eyebrow.

I shrugged and she seemed to shake away some thought.

"I came to give you this," she said and she held out something in her palm. When I looked at what she held, emotion clogged my throat.

Earrings.

She was giving me earrings. It was a small hooked earring with two angel wings at the end. I took them into my hand with reverence and pulled her into a hug.

"Thank you," I said, smiling at her once I released her from my bear-grip.

She rolled her eyes, but was smiling too, "Don't go all girl-y on me." She finally said.

"Never." I told her.

Then she awkwardly waved and went away to her room.
I ignored the presence of a looming, energy drawing alien and headed to the side of the wall that had presented me a reflection of myself.

Seeming to be aware of what I want, the 'mirror' appeared immediately, and I hooked on the earrings, smiling all the while.

They were cute and they seemed to really complete a look. I loved them.

My smile tapered away, when Rafe came to stand behind me, his eyes examining my face intently.

His eyes stopped when they met mine, and I noticed how they looked more fire today than coal. I turned around, stepping back a little.

Rafe's eyes narrowed slightly, but he didn't say anything.

We just looked at each other. Neither giving in to the pressure to talk. Slowly, awareness started to prickle at the back of my neck, making the hair on my arms stand. His eyes were...

Hypnotic.

I could get sucked into them. He looked at me with an intensity that was...

I drew in a quick breath.

"What?" I asked, crossing my arms.

A small smile tipped his full lips, and I glared at him. He was smiling that I gave in first.

"You did not eat," he said.

Believe me, I know.

I raised an eyebrow, as if to say So?

"So," he said, his head dipping a little as he came a little closer to me, "I brought you something."

I shook my head, "Whatever it is, I don't want it." I said and gestured that he leave.

Rafe ignored me and finally removed the hands he'd held behind his back, holding out...a fruit.