Chapter Twenty-Two: A Whole New World

The shrill sound of my alarm pierced through the silence of the room. Groaning as I sat up to turn the alarm off on my cell phone, I flipped open the little device. Light flooded into the room and illuminated the dark space.

I sighed as I realized that this was probably going to be the last time I am going to be in this room. Running away meant that I couldn’t come back to this mansion…ever. And this was all because of my deal with Evander.

Looking at the time once again, I realized that it was already 11:50pm…ten minutes until midnight. I packed right after my rendez-vous with Evander so I could have a little time for shut eye and rest. I was also hoping the nap would help me stay sane. My nerves were jumping everywhere, and I needed to cool down somehow.

Taking my suitcase in one hand, I carefully slung another bag over my shoulder. Slowly, I opened the door and made sure the coast was clear. I couldn’t afford to run into either Karter or Blake because that would probably ruin my whole plan.

I turned around and took one last look at the room. I smiled as I remembered my first encounter with the one way mirror of my closet. I was definitely going to miss this place. Letting go of my suitcase, I used two hands to ease the door close. It closed with a small thud.

I was able to stay silent as I made my way down the stairs. Making it past the front door was the biggest challenge, though. I tried my hardest not to make a sound as I pushed the handle down, but the door creaked loudly when I tried to open it. I looked around, paranoid that someone heard me. Thankfully, no one was in sight. After a few seconds, I tried to ease open the door again.

“What are you doing?” I whipped my head around at the stranger’s voice. My heart thudded loudly and then slowed down when I saw who it was.

“Evander! Don’t scare me like that,” I breathed out a sigh of relief.

“Sorry, Ms. Cartwright. But we’re leaving from the back…not the front,” he quietly took my heavy suitcase for me. After shutting the front door again, I followed behind him.

Coming to the back of the house, he opened a door that led to a path that wound around the mansion. I used to run laps on this trail with Blake. I sighed and realized that I was going to miss him a lot.

“Hurry, Ms. Cartwright! We will be late!” Evander whispered harshly a few feet in front of me. I shook my head to clear my thoughts. I had stooped walking, so I ran to catch up with Evander. He made his way to a black car with its lights turned off.

“Go and sit in the passenger seat. I will be there shortly after I put your luggage in the trunk,” He waved me off and nodded towards the front of the car. I nodded and followed his orders.

Right as I pulled the seatbelt over my chest, I heard Evander slam the trunk shut. A few moments later, he was sitting in the driver’s seat. I looked out the windshield as he started the car and began to drive to the main road.

I noticed something at the front of the car. There were two little red flags with gold crescents that stuck out on either side of the car. I laughed out loud when I realized this was the same car I first saw in New York. Remembering its suspiciousness, I thought about how I first met Karter. It was going to be hard leaving him since I’ve known him the longest. My laughter and smile faded as I thought about leaving the life I had in the mansion. Although the stipulations were ridiculous (arranged marriage?!?!), I loved the people there.