Johan: Part 9

"Jojo, can we go to the mall?" Leanne asked peering over at me with her best friend Macy.

"I don't care." I saw looking up from my comics to give her a weird look. Amie and Jack were downstairs. Why was she asking for my permission.

"Can you drive us?" She asked timidly.

My face cleared with understanding and I put my comic back to my face. "No."

"Aw Johan! Why not?" She whined which pissed me off. I hate whining.

"Because I'm busy." I said not looking up this time.

"You're reading a comic book." Macy chimed in.

"Well I'm trying to." I said getting more annoyed.

"But Johan-"

"I said no Leanne! If Jack or Amie won't take you then I guess you're stuck here." I snapped and refocused on the book.

She stormed to the door then looked back. "I'm telling mom!" She cried then left.

"Go ahead." I muttered, putting my ear bud back in. Amie can't force me to take her kids anywhere.
Truth be told, I normally don't mind taking them places. But recently I haven't wanted to leave the house. I tell myself its because I want to relax but that's not it. Honestly I'm afraid I'll bump into Ted somewhere. It seems to happen every freaking time I leave the house. After catching a glimpse of him at the store, passing him at the subway (Maxine loved to ride it) and almost running into him at my favorite restaurant, IHOP, I'd had enough. So now it was me, my bed, and X-Men. Well it was until Amie knocked and opened the door.

"Jesus Christ, can't a person read in peace here?!" I asked. Amie raised an eyebrow at me and I sobered down instantly.

"Why won't you take the kids to the mall?" She asked.

I sighed and fed her the same answer I gave Leanne. "I'm busy."

"No you aren't."

"I have plans."

"Like what?" She was testing me, but I lied easily on the spot.

"I'm going out to eat with a friend." I said then feigned like I was studying the time on my watch. "Actually I'm late." I said getting up and grabbing my jacket.

"You have a friend?" Amie asked and I almost tripped down the stairs. I kept going like I didn't hear her, though that seriously hurt my pride. I walked into my car and sat down, then proceeded to bang my head against the steering wheel. I was exactly where I didn't want to be. Outside.
I sighed because there was nothing I could do now and pulled out of my driveway. I had an idea and changed lanes turning into a Cold Stone. Thankfully it was empty so I ordered my favorite birthday cake ice cream with brownies and sat down, pulling out my comics.
I sat there for about 20 minutes munching on my ice cream until I realized I had finished it. I didn't plan to leave but got up to throw away my cup-knocking a girl over in the process.

My quick reflexes jumped in and I grabbed her hand and steadied her on her feet, but I was too late to save the ice cream. It dropped to the floor and laid there, oozing out of its cup.

"I'm so sorry!" I gasped, "I'll buy you another one-" I looked up into her face and almost choked. It was Cassidy Gaine.

Cassidy smiled and shook her head, causing her pretty, golden curls to bounce around. "No need." She said, smiling. "I can handle it."

"No way!" I said, after I gained enough confidence that I could speak without stuttering. "It was my fault. I will cover it." I walked over to the counter and paid for the worker to make her a new ice cream. While I was waiting for it, I glanced over.