fifteen

"Where should we go?" Camila asked me. We were standing side by side, with our duffles over our shoulders, looking up at the flights. "Japan? No. You get sick with sushi sometimes."

"It was one time and you never let me forget it." I rolled my eyes.

"Straya?" Camila mocked in a sort-of believable Aussie accent.

I shook my head, "No. They'd expect that."

"Ontario?"

"Almost."

"London?" She said, raising her eyebrows.

"Perfect." I smiled, pulling mine and her passport out of my pocket.

"Good. That's where I wanted to go, too."

"Next!" The lady yelled out to alert the people in front of us that it was their turn to get their tickets.

Just as she yelled out, my phone started vibrating. I rolled my eyes and I realized that it was just Lacy, so I knew I needed to act natural.

"Hello?" I said as if I didn't pay attention to the caller ID.

"Where the hell are you two? It's been four hours."

"Lacy, we decided we're just gonna go to London."

She was enraged, "THE HELL YOU ARE. DO YOU WANT ME TO TRAVEL ACROSS THE WORLD TO COME LOOKING FOR YOU TWO?"

My headset was loud enough to alert Camila, so I had to chuckle fakely as a way to say 'everything is alright'. "Of course not, Lace." Camila guided me to take a step forward in our correct spot in line.

"Then come to my house for a day or two. Just so I know you're both safe."

I rolled my eyes at the sudden protectiveness. "Fine." I pressed end and grabbed Camila to bring her out of the line. I knew Lacy wouldn't let up and would eventually snitch to have a search party find Camila and I.

"Where are we going?" Camila asked as I yanked her back to the front of the airport.

"We have to see Lacy."

Camila yanked her hand away and stopped with her suitcase, "Fuck that. I don't wanna see her."

"I already told her we were leaving. And you know she's crazy." I told her seriously because Lacy is a little crazy. "She'll have people looking for us everywhere within a matter of minutes. We will go for tonight but pick this up tomorrow."

Camila frowned and let out a long sigh, "You just better hope my Mom doesn't find us before we get a chance to leave."

--

An hour or so later, we were at the door of Lacy's two bedroom apartment in the prime of Los Angeles. I knocked on the door and grabbed Camila's hand. She looked pissed so I moved in to kiss her cheek and she looked back at me with those beautiful brown eyes. Almost as if she was mentally saying Thank You. Thank you for what, I wouldn't know. She wasn't happy about any of this only because she was worried that Lauren would get desperate enough to sabotage us before Sinu could figure out her daughter was gone.

The door opened and Lacy was in sweats and an old t-shirt with her hair up in a bun.

"Lacy, it's 6 in the afternoon. You haven't got dressed?" I asked her before coming on for a hug to push her aside so Camila could walk by with her suitcase.

She liked to stay as far away from Lacy because just like Lauren, she hated her. They hate her for the simple fact that they think she's a bad influence. And she is. She's my peer pressure friend. But those stories are for another day.