The worst birthday

Hoho Harry Potter fans, I hope you get the joke ;)

Aelin was curled up on her throne, snoring softly. 

"Aelin!" Rowan burst into the throne room and ran over to sweep her up in his arms,

"I've been looking for you all night."

Aelin opened her eyes and looked blearily up at him. Then she yawned, displaying her fae canines, sharp and glinting in the early morning sun.

"Well," she said sleepily, "I only remembered about today's meeting about the birthday celebrations and rushed up here to complete the paperwork."

"Yes," said Rowan impatiently, "but you do know that the meeting stars in five minutes?"

"Oh."

=====================================

Relaxing in the bath, Nehemia suddenly remembered something. And a pleasant feeling washed over her.

Today was Nehemia's thirteenth birthday, she would be allowed access to the restricted library and books, she would be able to visit the tallest tower and look out over the land.

Nehemia  washed quickly and leapt out of the bath, drenching the floor and slipping on the abandoned bar of soap in the process.

"Ow!" 

Marion was waiting in her bedroom, a dress laid ready on the bed. Nehemia slipped it on without protest and asked,

"Marion....

"Yes? What do you want?" Replied the nurse briskly.

"Well, I was wondering if I could go to the restricted library before breakfast?"

Marion, who was now busy with the bedclothes looked up,

" Yes, I suppose you can, but don't be long, you parents are preparing birthday celebrations now."

"I wont."

======================================================================================

The restricted library was about ten times the size of the normal one. Huge stone pillars supported the ceiling and each bookshelf was beautifully carved: intricate swirls and spirals decorating each one.

Nehemia rushed straight over to the nearest bookshelf and read the fancy lettering on the first book.

"Secrets of Merlina Ashryver, Strictle Private Please No Read," read Nehemia out loud, "Hmm, sounds like an old diary."

The cover was blank except for a rip in the leather cover, from top to bottom. Nehemia flipped the book open on a random page and began to cough, the book was ancient and extremely dusty. Eyes streaming, she began to read.

" 13, Moonsday, today mama was ille. She fell down the palace stairs when reading one of the olde books. Healers say that her legge is broken, she may not walk for four months.

 19, Sunsday, I am of the age now and I may also read the olde books, my first was incredible, I can do old spells and mama says she will teach me the wyrdmarks so I may become learned in the ancient art.

20, Moonsday, today I created a new spell with my own wyrdmark

                                                        Ǿ

I do not yet know what it will do, but I have never seen it before.

22, Worldsday, today I may try my spell, I will write about what it may do so it can be future used.

I am about to use my wyrdmark."

The writing stopped abruptly and there was no more written on the page. Confused, Nehemia flicked through the rest of the book but all of the pages were blank. Just as Nehemia went to close the book, a tiny symbol was scratched on the last page;

                                                         Ǿ

It was the wyrdmark again, except this time it was written in a deep red ink that looked like...

                                                   Blood.

A sudden wave of curiosity swept over Nehemia: she had to know what the wyrdmark did. She looked back through the previous pages, but they didn't contain anything useful.

Taking a deep breath, Nehemia unsheathed the dagger Aelin had giver her. The Queens words came back to her as she raised it in the air,

"...It is to be used only when necessary..."

 Nehemia wondered what her mother would think of this and began to put the dagger down.

'No' she said to herself, and without thinking about it, slashed the dagger across her palm creating a deep wound. Nehemia dipped her finger in the blood and, with a trembling finger, traced the wyrdmark onto the stone floor. Almost instantly, there was a blinding flash of light and a rip in the air appeared,  Nehemia felt herself being dragged through it and a roar of sound met her ears.

Tentatively, she opened her eyes and a strange sight met her eyes;

people walking about in the street, some in shiny moving things that pumped smoke out the back. The noise was terrific and the smell made Nehemia gag. A huge red shiny went past, honking loudly and, terrified, Nehemia ran, along the street, around the corner and down an alley.

What had she done? Where was she? And, most importantly, how was she going to get home?

Thank you for reading, any comments or ideas would be great :)