7- Stableboy

Picture of the Stableboy above ^^^^ (it's Young Leonardo DiCaprio)

I shook both of their hands and Margie soon claimed that she must leave. Catherine laughed and informed me that Margie only came down to see James. After a heavy night of passion, it would seem, Margie had fallen head over heels for Catherine's cheeky brother.

As Margie left, conversation died down, as I realised that I had no idea what I was doing here at the palace? Dining among royals, rubbing elbows with the most influential citizens in he entire country of Argonia. I felt completely out of place, only feeling at comfort with staff and commoners.

I began to shuffle in my dress, suddenly realising the discomfort I was in. Catherine noticed my awkwardness and asked me if I wished to change dresses. Relieved, I thanked her and she walked off to one of the adjoining doors in my suite and returned holding one of my dresses. It was a simple and plain dress, rather similar to that of a maids and it made me feel extremely unrestricted and free, compared to the starch stiffness of my current dress. Catherine helped me change and I was soon feeling more like myself again.

I turned to Catherine and asked her what I was supposed to be doing upon my arrival. Her head snapped, as if she finally remembered that she came to this room for more purpose than idle gossip and friendly conversation.
"Oh, that's right. I am here to inform you that since you have only arrived today, you shall be receiving your supper and tea in your room, leaving you time to freshen up and become prepared for the season of festivities."
"Season of festivities?" I queried, having no idea what this was.

"Oh, aren't you aware? Each and every year, for the six week period between June and July, many nobles from the world travel to the palace. There are balls and gatherings almost every day. Many attend to show their daughters off to the king, others are hoping for their daughters to catch the attention of a rich lord with land. This year, almost every high class family has been pining for a spot, hoping their daughters will win the heart of the prince." She informed me excitedly.
"However, The season starts next week, so you have plenty of time to prepare." She added hastily as she noticed the concerned expression on my face.

I immediately began to feel faint. I knew I was being sent here to find a husband but I had no idea that there would be many others "competing" for a man. That sounded rather disgusting to me. Women shouldn't need to be pining for a husband, competing as if it were a tournament. Do they really need a husband that badly? I personally am fine without one. Also, I now realised that my father sent me here this year, hoping for me to catch the eyes of the prince. I'm afraid he shall be greatly disappointed, as I have no intention of marrying a prince.

"I might go outside, I'm feeling a bit faint." I turned to Catherine.
"My lady, it's dark outside, it's not safe."
"I shall not be long, I have friends in the stable that I wish to see."
I told her to leave and go to sleep, that I would be fine and then I dazedly walked out of the chamber, my thoughts distracted. I needed some air, I thought to myself. The realisation that I was here and had to go to a ball every night, as well as the idea that multiple other ladies and lords will be here, was rather daunting.

I finally reached the gardens and began making my way to the stables, I soon reached the wooden building and entered slowly. It was completely dark, except for a lit fire in the far corner.
"Hello?" I called out, my voice shaky. Maybe a nighttime walk in a place I was not familiar with was not such a good idea.
"Good evening madam." I heard a voice in reply.
I jumped, startled and he stood up and walked swiftly towards me.
"I am incredibly sorry to startle you." The voice spoke again.
I could not see his face, but his tone was kind and sincere and rather trustworthy.

My body relaxed slightly.

He held out his hand for me and I took it cautiously, he walked me over to the fireplace and offered me a seat. I obliged and sat on a block of wood next to the fire. He walked over and sat down too. Thanks to the aid of the fire, I could now see his face.

I think I nearly choked on air as I saw him. He had the purest crystal blue eyes I had ever seen, and my eyes became lost in them. I soon glanced over his other features, he had blonde hair and and an angelic face. His nose seemed perfectly shaped and as he smiled, my stomach dropped. I glanced at his lips. They were pink and appeared to be soft. I blushed and quickly looked away, seeing him smirk at me and my flustered expression. I tried to keep my eyes faced on the wall to my left, but my eyes couldn't resist. I turned back to look at him and couldn't help but study his eyes again.

"I'm guessing you are new here? I have never seen you around." He asked.
"Yes, I arrived just this morning." I replied nervously, overwhelmed by his hotness.
"Are you just working here for the season?"
My mind jumped. I soon realised that he believed I was a maid. I can hardly blame him, considering what I was wearing."
"Yes, I guess?" I replied cautiously, hating the lies.
"You don't sound so sure." He laughed, his eyes gleaming and his smile radiating off happiness. I giggled too and confirmed my answer with more certainty.

"I'm Rose, it's lovely to meet you." I giggled, extending my hand.
"I'm.. Uhhhh.... Theo." he said with uncertainty.
"You don't sound so sure." I mimicked and he burst out laughing.

We continued talking as time flew by. I discovered that he was a Stableboy and worked for the palace. He complained about his siblings as I sat mesmerised by the thought of having brothers and sisters. He told me I was crazy, that being an only child would be amazing. I soon found myself pouring my heart out to him. Telling him I was raised by a horrible lady and my father was always overseas. I spoke of how my father wanted me to find a husband but I didn't want to be forced into anything.

Several hours passed by without me even realising.
"I understand you completely, my father is trying to force me into marriage also. But I don't want to. I believe in love and he doesn't. I want to marry a woman who I wish to see every hour of every day. I want to feel love." He continued the conversation.
We muttered mutual agreement about our disagreement with marriage before continuing on to other conversation.

I found myself laughing and smiling and listening intently. He was so interesting and I could have talked to him till the morning. In fact, I did.

I soon gasped as I saw the early morning sunrise shining through the window in the stable.
"It's morning!" I exclaimed. "I simply must be off now."
"I didn't realise, wow. Time passed by so fast." He muttered to himself. Darting upwards and running out of the stables. Panic in his eyes. He quickly turned back and ran back towards me.

"Meet me again tonight." He stated, rather than asking. He smirked and kissed my hand before panic struck his eyes again. He stumbled away from me, nearly tripping over his feet, before exiting the stables. A head poked back around the door and He entered the stables again, running past me to collect his hat. He picked it up and it fumbled out of his fingers. He was making an awful fool of himself and I giggled helplessly. He reached down and grabbed it again before winking at me and sprinting off into the distance.

I laughed and gathered my skirts, strolling up towards the castle. What an extraordinary night. I believe I could talk to that boy for days on end and not get bored.

I replayed the night in my head as I walked down the castle corridors. My first day in the castle and I had already made many friends. I decided that Jim, Catherine, James and Theo were people that I wish to keep friendships with. I returned to my chambers and yawned, suddenly realising how tired I was. I glanced at the welcoming bed and flung my body onto it. I fell asleep the moment my head hit the soft, goose feather and silk pillow.