19- Step One: James

© all rights reserved

Hey guys :) I can't believe I've gotten this far into my story already! I hope you are all enjoying it so far and if you have or haven't please leave a comment! Love you all, stay fabulous.

Theo's POV

It was a new day. A new day, and a new Theo. If Rose wanted an apology, I would give her the best apology in existence.

In all honesty, it confused me that Rose didn't like my gifts of flowers and jewellery. I had planned to give her other jewels and gold and silks and gowns until she forgave me. Women love those things, don't they? Every other lady in existence would've jumped into my arms and made love to me right then if I gave them a sapphire necklace.

But not Rose,

I should have known that. She's different. She didn't care about all those things. All that gold and jewels and bits and bobs. After all, she did walk around as a maid every night for a week to talk to a stableboy. Of course, that stableboy turned out to be me, but I still remember the day that Rose told me she would rather marry me (who she thought was a stableboy) than marry royalty. It was the day in the secret passageways.

I also remember how she conversed with Ilene, and talked of all her other servant friends. Even now, just this morning, I saw her walking from the kitchens, coated in flour because she was having a good time with her footman friend James. I must admit, I was slightly jealous of James when I saw the smile on her face.

The smile of pure joy.

I remember when she would give me that smile simply when she saw me. I remember returning that smile. In just the week I had known her, I had become the happiest man on Earth.

But still, I couldn't work her out. She didn't care for jewels or riches, she cared about kindness and happiness. She would rather spend her days with genuine, joyous people, rather than rich, nasty and stuck up nobles. Despite whether those nobles could get her into high circles, earning her influence and a rich husband. I guess, you could just say that she wasn't a gold digger.

I'd never met anyone before that didn't care about money and power. Even I, cared about it. I cannot lie to you that if I didn't care about power and money I would have asked Rose to stay and marry me when she was just a maid. I hate myself for that now. I was beating myself up about it but then Edward reminded me that I would not have been permitted to marry her anyways. I had a duty to my crown and country and would have to marry a noble.

But still, her denial of my gifts genuinely confused me. She really was a remarkable lady. She was a diamond in the rough that I would have to work for. I would have to set down my crown, pick up a hoe and start chipping that coal to collect my gem. It would be hard, but I needed Rosalind back in my life. I simply cannot stand her hating me and yelling at me every time we meet. I don't want her upset.

I needed to start planning. I needed to apologise and I needed to do something to show her how much I cared for her. That morning, I called Edward over and we devised a plan.

"She's quite attractive. I can see why you like this girl so much." Edward stated as I strode back and forth across the room. His words stopped me. I know how much of a flirt he was and if he set his mind on it, he would not stop until he bed the girl he sought after. I stared at him, walking up threateningly and grabbing the collar of his shirt.

"She is mine. You touch her and I will make sure to pull out every hair in your body. One. by. one." I threatened, glaring at him. I don't know why I was being so protective, she was not even mine yet. But the thought of losing her to someone else made my stomach lurch and my heart sting.