15- The Royal Masquerade

"Good morning Rose, it's time to wake up!" Catherine, my ladies maid and friend called out. I groaned and rolled over to the other side of the bed, facing away from the now open curtains.
"Honestly, there will not be time for such sleep ins once the season starts, it's three o'clock in the afternoon already! I don't know what you are doing at night, reading those silly novels of yours, probably." She muttered, pulling the sheets from my now shivering body.

I was informed of the opening ball starting at 7:00. I was also just recently informed that it would be a masquerade, meaning we were all in disguise.
"It's so the prince can know how you would treat him if he weren't a prince. He gets to wear a disguise and hide his identity." Catherine explained. I completely forgot about that ball in all honesty, too busy focusing on having fun and saying goodbyes to Theo.
"That's today?" I asked.
"Yes, of course it is. And maybe if you spent some of your time at morning teas or gatherings with the other ladies, you would know that. You need to stop dreaming and start focusing!" She demanded. I simply pulled the blankets back up to my chin.
"You sound an awful lot like my governess." I retorted, my voice sleepy.

"Well I need to inform you that we have just three and a half hours to get ready, so get up." She shouted from across the corridor as she went to fill my bath.

At that moment, a maid walked into my suite, bearing a tray of luncheon. I smiled at her and felt my stomach rumble, immediately realising how hungry I was.
"Thank you darling, tell Ilene I said hello." I gleamed at the maid. She bobbed a curtesy and left.

Food. Food. Food. What a beautiful thing.
I smothered my toast in raspberry preserves and chowed down on my omelette. It was utterly delicious. It wasn't long before I was being dragged away from my delicious meal and thrown into a tub of steamy water.

"Which dress?" Catherine asked as I sat, bored out of my mind. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore fashion. I've always enjoyed and, if I do say so myself, quite excelled at sewing and embroidery. But all I could think about was Theo. Since he told me that he too was going away, my heart has sunk even more. Trying to be more optimistic, I stood up, walking over to my walk in closet where all my ballgowns hung. My eyes trailed over each of them and my gaze fell onto one in the far corner. It was an emerald green coloured gown with elegant fur lined sleeves and brown embroidery along the bodice, complimenting the green tone perfectly. The neckline was lined with pearls, as well as the waistline and skirt. It was beautiful.

"You look stunning!" Catherine gushed as I stood, fully dressed in the emerald green gown. I glanced at myself in the mirror. I had never seen myself in such finery, having never attended a ball before. Inside I was screaming with excitement. There is dancing and food and music. It all seems rather jolly. I wonder if it would be anything like the birthday parties the servants once threw for me.

I thought back to Frankie dancing on the table with me, clapping hands all around and chatter overflowing the kitchens. Tom and Tom were playing a flute type instrument and everybody was chanting. I remember the cake that was made for me and the party games we played. Something told me that the ball tonight would be slightly different, or most likely extremely different. If I was spending tonight with better people, I'm sure it would be fun.

My mind dazed off to lands far away as Catherine thrust me down onto a chair in front of the dressing table. She began fiddling with my hair, styling it into an elegant up do, pearls strung throughout it. She next turned my chair around and began to do my makeup, brushing a white powder over my face and lining my eyelashes with a concoction I had never heard of. My lips were left bare, at my insistence as I absolutely despised makeup. She sprayed me with a dash of perfume and clasped a gold bracelet lined with emeralds onto my arm, sliding an emerald ring onto my bare hand. She pulled me over to the mirror and I stood shocked, transfixed by my transformation. My look was complete with a golden mask, lined with emeralds and tied with black ribbon onto my face.