23- Step Four: Secret Room

Theo's POV

I woke up with a throbbing pain in my head and no memory of last night. I began to regain my thoughts and all I could remember was Rose.

Rose, looking so beautiful in that dress.
Rose, looking so beautiful despite the dress.
Rose, flirting with my brother as they danced the night away.
Rose, dancing with other men as I sat on, fidgeting in my seat.
Rose, denying me a dance.
Rose, running off after claiming I was eloping with her maid.

Oh my. That maid that was crying? The one I hugged simply to comfort her. Rose saw that? And she was upset with it? All I did was hug her. Just one, simple, meaningless hug.

I frowned in despair as she probably hates me even more now, but then... I began to grin. And I grinned and grinned and couldn't stop.

Me. Me simply hugging another woman. It had Rose envious and fuming. I had the power to make her... Jealous? That must mean she has feelings for me deep down, right? I smirked and my mood instantly lightened.

The mood then darkened as I realised what I had organised to do today....

Clean.

I, Prince Adrian Theodore and future King, am spending the day sweeping and scrubbing.

And why? You may ask. Because I'm so stupidly in love with this girl who is so ridiculously different. That was what enthralled me.

As part of my master plan, I had already (almost) learnt how to cook, and also made my very own piece of jewellery, which now sat in a velvet box in the bottom draw of a cabinet.

Now, it was my job to clean the room in the secret tunnels that Rose wished to make into a sitting room. The one we found the chess set in. I was to redecorate and refurbish it completely. I had asked for Catherine, the maid, to help me in my challenge. She told me "of course, your highness." And agreed to meet me down in the cellar today at 12 o'clock.

Rose' POV

I entered the training rooms for the very first time since my arrival. I used to love to fight with Frankie, back at home. But now, I couldn't bring myself to yield a sword without him. Nonetheless, I entered the room with my new sword and just sat there.

I missed home.
I missed the people and the gardens, the animals and my bedroom. I missed my pianoforte and even my governess. Okay, so the last part was definitely a lie. If I ever have to see that woman again I just might punch her in the face and flee to Spain.

I pulled the sword out of its cover, but it broke. My shoddy job of welding was probably the cause of that.

It was time to visit Jim again.

***

"Hello Jim, I'm back again." I smiled as I entered the room.
I looked around and saw that the smithy Assistant wasn't there.

"Where is Thomas?" I asked.

"Oh, 'ello Rose. How are you?"

"Im quite good, thank you."

"As for Thomas, he's in jail. Quite sad really." He muttered sorrowfully.

"What, why?!"

"The guards told me that they heard screaming and a man had punched poor Thomas and his nose got all bloody. They held back the man but he shouted that he was the Prince and ordered Thomas be sent to the gallows. Poor boy." He tutted and I filled with rage.

"Who does he think he is?! Hurting people for no reason and then throwing them in the gallows!"

"He is the Prince, and unfortunately that allows him to be exempt of the rules. Seems a bit full of himself if you ask me."

"Trust me, you have no idea." I grumbled through gritted teeth.

This Prince. He thought that he could do whatever he wanted. Each day he seems to be becoming more pompous and self-righteous, not caring of even thinking anything of commoners like Thomas. I bet he doesn't even know what hard work is. Spending his days sipping tea and ordering those below him. What an arrogant ass.

Theo's POV

I'm dead.

I have just done the most (and hardest) work in my entire life.

"Okay, so we have a lot of work to do." Catherine informed as I showed her the room full of dust, old paintings, trunks of junk and more.

I sparked up conversation and found my mouth agape when she told me she was James' brother. They seemed like polar opposites. I told her that I asked James for help too and she asked who the girl I was doing all this for was.

"Her name is Rose, Rosalind Ravenswood." I smiled as her mouth opened in shock. She squealed.

"You! You're the? Oh my goodness I can't breathe." She danced and screamed. I laughed.

We began by hauling the junk, furniture and trunks out of the room, next, sweeping the floor using this thing called a broom. Then, we swept the walls as they were so dusty you couldn't see the wallpaper behind it.

Catherine and I didn't talk much, except for her giving me orders. She seemed to be completely focused as she worked... Unlike her brother.

She handed me a sponge and instructed me on how to scrub the walls. We then swept the floors again, mopped the floors, dusted the ceiling and went out to look through all the junk.

In the trunks we found old fashioned gowns and an assortment of vases and pots. As well as ornaments and other decorations.

Looking at the paintings, I discovered they were all of legends, myths, fairy tales and fables. Fascinating. The furniture was moth eaten and musky.

More cleaning and then the room was spotless, the fireplace also cleaned and everything ready for the furniture.

Heading upstairs, the furniture was all arriving. On time as demanded.
I had spent my allowance on two gorgeous lounges, a polished and carved oak coffee table, a beautiful, intricately woven tapestry rug and a chest of oak draws.

The servants were all so kind in helping me haul the things downstairs. I wasn't sure if this was cheating, as Catherine and others were helping with the cleaning and decorating part, but oh well.

And now, 12 whole hours later, I find myself in bed, midnight, trying to stay awake and think of the joy of tomorrow and how much Rose will love me.

Rose' POV

I HATE HIM. I hate him and will always hate him no matter what.

His actions over the past few days have been even more unbelievable. Trying to steal my friends, make me jealous, punching a guy who wanted to go to dinner with me in the face. Unbelievable. I have no idea why he is doing what he is doing but I am angry. So angry.

To Be A Princess (court life)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara