24- A Royal Suprise

Theo's POV

Today is the day. Today is the day that Rose forgives me and I shall have her in my arms again... Hopefully. I'm shaking with the anticipation of getting to converse with Rose again and make her laugh and smile.

It is currently 8:00am and I have everything perfectly in place. My plan is ready and perfected so as that there can be no faults.

It all began with James.

James' POV

I knocked on the door to Rose' suite.

I heard a groan, the shuffling of blankets, footsteps, a yawn, mumbled curse words, the screeching of the servants door and then there was Rose.

"What the hell are you doing here this early?" A very unamused Rose yawned.

I laughed, trying to play it cool and not act suspiciously. I really liked Prince Theo and I hoped Rose would forgive him. He's not what you would expect of a Prince; stuck up, arrogant, rude. Well.... Maybe a little bit. But he was hilarious and a nice guy, so I'm happy to be part of this plan.

"I'm here to inform you that you shall not be attending the ball tonight." I

"Why? Was it cancelled?"

"Nope, but you just aren't going.

"I have to, it's treason to not attend a royal gathering if I've been invited by the King and Queen." She reasoned.

I took a deep breath in, trying to maintain my calm persona. "Yes, you will be attending, but all you have to do is be called down, then you can sneak out and we are going to have some fun."

"So you want me to break the law? Umm... I don't think so."

"What? Poor little Lady Rosalind is afraid to break some silly little rules." I teased, smirking as she snarled.

"Fine. What are we going to do then?"

"You're gonna go down to the Kitchens and I have a surprise planned for you."

Lies. I had no surprise. It was not me who would even be down in the kitchens.

"You're weird." She mumbled and slammed the door in my face, calling out "I have to go back to bed!"

I did it. She bought it and now my part of the plan was complete.
I walked through the servants corridors and over to the Prince's suite, to report my news back to headquarters.

"Prince Theo, she will be in the kitchens tonight after the ball begins." I winked and his eyes filled with joy.

"Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou!" He exclaims, running up to me and enveloping me into a hug.

"Anytime, your royal majesty." I mock bowed and he laughed and gave me a shove.

"Do you think she will like it?" He asked, his tone suddenly nervous.

"I believe she will love it immensely."

***

Rose' POV

"You look stunning!" Catherine gushed as I stood in my bedroom suite, dressed in the grandest gown I own.

"Why do I have to wear my best gown? Shouldn't we save it for a more special occasion?" I questioned and she shook her head, brushing off my question as if I were invisible.

I gazed in the mirror. This dress certainly was fine. Too fine for me. Uncomfortable and restricting. Yet gorgeous. I didn't deserve such a garment. The dress was a light blue, the skirts puffy and trailing. The collar was lined with blue ribbon, made to look like gorgeous flowers.

It was the most beautiful dress I had ever worn..l apart from the dress I wore that night Theo and I spent in the secret passageways. I can't think about that. I must forget about Theo.

I was sat down to do makeup and hair, and before I knew it, it was time to attend the ball. I didn't want to. I did not want to see Theo and I did not want to see the lords and ladies of this damn croak court. I wanted to go home in all honesty.

No, that was a lie. Life at court was fun, exciting, different.

Royal ballroom-10:00pm

The musical accompaniment to the vocals was today an orchestra of beautiful violins and violas. Spectacular.
The food was also immensely delicious, like it always is. I was bored.

"Would you care for a dance, your ladyship?" A charming man with brown hair, brown eyes and a dazzling smile asked.

"I'm afraid not, sir. I must rest awhile. I do truly feel quite faint." I excused and he smiled again.

"Maybe some other time?" He smirked.
"Yes, maybe." I replied, disinterested.
His smile fell and he walked away.

It was time for me to plan my escape and visit James down in the kitchens. I must admit, I was extremely intrigued as to what he had planned. Surely he would have been working tonight?

I snuck out of the grand room full of dancing nobles and creeped through the servants corridors and down to the servants quarters.

The servants dining room was dark and quiet. Strange.

You would think it would be loud and busy due to the ball. I walked hesitantly, calling out "hello" to the echoing room. I decided to head into the kitchen.

"James? Are you in here?" I called as I opened the door to the kitchen.

Upon my entering, what I saw was not James, but in fact Theo.

"Theo?!" What on earth are you doing down here?" I exclaimed, confused and slightly angry. Had he tricked me? Gotten all my friends and turned them against me, cornering me down here. Christ, what was he going to do to me?

Fear instantly bubbled in my chest which was then overtaken by anger and furiousness and then overtaken again by a stabbing fear. I was about to scream out but his hand covered my mouth and Theo began to speak.

"Rosie, before you get angry, please... Let me speak. I was horrible to you, horrible to everyone for that matter. So arrogant, rude and self righteous. I disrespected all those lower than me and I got so caught up in what I was always told. That I am the prince and all are below me. I was an ass. And how I yelled at you at that ball, how I tried to win you back with jewels rather than simply saying sorry. So here I am, I want to apologise. To say that I am truly and completely sorry."

Wait, what? He was simply here to apologise. The great and mighty Prince Adrian was saying sorry? To me? I stood in shock. Not knowing what to say. He looked at me, smiling a nervous smile. Not his usual arrogant, confident smirk. But a nervous, anticipating smirk. I did not reply.

I did not know what to say.