8- Court Life

I found myself awake in the early hours of the afternoon. I sighed and pulled the rope next to my bed. A maid soon came in and I asked for something to eat, my stomach rumbling since I missed out on supper and breakfast. She returned soon after with a delicious soup, some finger sandwiches and tea. I ate everything up hungrily and then changed into a simple day dress. It was a peach colour, embroidered along the bodice with intricate details and tiny pearls.

I wonder what papa would think of me spending my first night in the palace outside of my chamber with a man. I only now realised what a scandalous thing I did. I don't really care though, I've never followed the rules. Why should I start following them now?

I decided to take a walk to one of the libraries. It wasn't long before I was coated from head to toe in piles of books, absorbing every detail of every sentence, paragraph and  page of a book on pirates, before heading over to the works of Shakespeare.

Returning from the library, I stopped by a drawing room, hearing an awful lot of noise. Chattering ladies and polite conversation. Curious, I stopped by the footman standing at the door and asked what was happening. He said it was some of the debutantes, debutantes being the other ladies that are staying at the castle for the season of festivities. He then continued by asking me if I would like to be announced into the drawing room. I almost said no, not wanting to join in on the idle gossip of court ladies, when I heard someone politely call to the now silent room "let's play another game of backgammon, shall we?"

Being a complete and utter lover of any form of game, I told him I wished to enter. As was proper, I had to be announced which annoyed me greatly. He asked for my name and title and I rolled my eyes and answered. I hated this formality. He opened the door for me and the chatter fell silent. Every lady in the room turned to look at me.
"Lady Rosalind Ravenswood." The footman announced. I nodded my head at all the other ladies and they did the same. The footman closed the door and the chatter continued.

A girl who looked around my age came up to me and introduced herself. Her name is Elizabeth. She has no formal title so is simply Elizabeth, no stupid "lady" nonsense involved. In truth, I envied her. I began making small talk with her when another lady entered the room. They announced her and she wondered over to a group of three snarky looking women.

The ladies at the card table stared at them before politely looking away to continue their game. I am not one to believe in the judgement of people, but I must admit, the card table ladies seemed much nicer than those sitting in the corner. Several other women were sitting at various points throughout the room, conversing politely or reading a novel. Elizabeth and I walked over to the card table and I introduced myself to the three ladies sitting there. They all smiled and asked if we would like to join. I happily agreed and sat down on one of the delicate lounge chairs surrounding the table.

Friendly conversation soon began, but I couldn't help feeling extremely awkward. They talked about breakfast and asked why I didn't attend with all the other ladies. I told them I wasn't aware of any breakfasts. They all nodded and asked if I had arrived just yesterday.

"You wouldn't have been invited then." Said one.
"You must not have announced yourself to the king and queen yet." Said another.
"They will not be aware of your arrival yet." Said the last one.
"You will be introduced today." Informed one.
"This afternoon." Informed another.
"However, You won't meet the prince yet." Informed the last one.
They all sighed in admiration of the prince.

"Not that he would take fancy in any of you." A girl interrupted from the corner of the room. The girls around her tittered with obnoxious laughter.

I hated them already.

The girls around me turned scarlet with embarrassment. The room was now awkwardly silent and the tension was so thick it couldn't even be cut with a knife.