Chapter 14

Bucky pushes himself off the ground and moves toward me, his eyes flashing between rage and pain. I crawl out of my hiding spot as fast as my body will carry me and scramble to my feet. The room is completely trashed - desks are toppled, computers shattered, and T'Challa is unconscious amongst the rubble. I can't see any major wounds from where I stand, so I'm assuming he must've hit his head. Hard.

Fear constricts my throat as Bucky takes another labored step toward me, and I mirror his action whilst taking a step backward. Soon, my back hits the wall and I realize I'm trapped.

Oh, shit.

"B-Bucky," I stammer, clenching my hands into tight fists as I slide to my left.

He grimaces, "How do you know my name?"

"You're J-James Buchanan Barnes," I explain hastily, trying desperately to trigger his memory, as he takes another menacing step forward. "Your best friend is Steve Rogers. I know Steve."

Confusion clouds his brilliant blue eyes, and he shakes his head as if attempting to shake it away. I've slid so far to my left that I've hit another wall, meaning I'm now trapped in the corner of the room with the Winter Soldier walking toward me.

"P-please," I beg him, holding up my hands in surrender. "Please don't hurt me."

"Why would I hurt you?" He looks offended by the question then exhales slowly, his eyes widening in recognition. "This-this is Wakanda. I'm in Wakanda."

I nod, and he continues, "Where is Steve?"

"I don't know," My voice trembles with fear. He's now standing less than a foot in front of me, and even without his metal arm I know he could kill me with his bare hand. "The compound is in lockdown. There's...there's been some kind of attack." I glance at T'Challa, who has begun to shift on the floor as he regains consciousness. "We had to wake you up to save you."

"We?" He lifts an eyebrow, then follows my gaze over to my cousin.

Almost as if the presence of a nearly-active threat is a trigger, his cold blue eyes flicker back to me as they darken.

"This is a trap," he mutters. "You're here to kill me."

I shake my head, "No, Bucky. We're friends of Steve's."

"Don't lie to me," he spits out, closing the gap between us as he wraps his hand around my throat. "He tried to kill me," His head jerks toward T'Challa, who is now pushing himself off the ground.

Panic rises in my chest, and I gasp for air while clawing against his arm. I can't do anything except flail helplessly, unable to match his strength, as black spots begin to dot my vision. As much as I've wished for my ability to disappear over the past two weeks, now would be a great time for it to kick in.

He drops me suddenly, hissing as he pulls his arm into his chest like he's been stung by something, and I can't help but thank God for the timing as I slump to the floor. My ability - my defense mechanism - did the same thing to Bucky that it did to Steve, the effects probably lessened by their serum-enhanced bodies, and I can see the grotesque blackened flesh of his palm as he backs away from me.

"Oh, god. What have I done?" He looks up at me in horror, and guilt burns through me like a wildfire. His eyes are a clear blue, no longer darkened, and I know that Bucky is in control.

"I'm sorry," I cough, sucking in oxygen as I gently hold my neck. "I didn't mean--"

He ignores me, his eyes wide with shock, "I could've killed you. I told Steve I wanted to stay under, I told him that don't have control over my own mind. I--"

T'Challa inches toward him, ready to pounce, and I hold up a hand to stop him. Bucky whirls around to face him, taking in the destruction of the room around him, as well as the disheveled appearance of the king of Wakanda.

"It wasn't me," he murmurs, almost like he's reassuring himself of that fact more than anything. "It wasn't me."

Gunshots erupt in the distance, and we all whirl around to face the direction from which they came. I am not equipped to fight anyone who is armed, and my panic causes a lump to form in my throat as I whimper. Bucky glances back at me, his blue eyes marked with what appears to be concern as he looks from me then back toward the source of the gunfire. T'Challa watches him closely, not yet satisfied that the Winter Soldier won't make a second appearance.

"James..." he says hesitantly, causing Bucky's eyes to flicker toward him.

Bucky relaxes ever-so-slightly, his fist clenching and unclenching as he nods at T'Challa. He's in control. Which is really good timing, considering the gunshots are now right outside the room. An explosion sounds, and I cower against the wall - unfortunately, bravery is not currently my forte - covering my mouth as I scream while both T'Challa and Bucky flinch. Whatever is happening outside the room is about to happen inside of it.

"Chloe, stay behind me," Bucky murmurs, positioning himself between me and the door opposite us.

I nod frantically, even though he can't see me, and press my spine further against the wall. If only my defensive ability could've been something a little more useful, ya know, like invisibility or invincibility.

Wait...My brain freezes, rewinding a few seconds. How does Bucky Barnes know my name?