Chapter 15

The door opens with a bang, filling the room with smoke as armed invaders rush in. It's impossible to see or hear anything as my senses are utterly overwhelmed by all that is happened. All I can see of Bucky is the sliver of silver on his left shoulder peeking out from the black cap placed on the end of his missing bionic arm.

T'Challa wastes no time in engaging, gracefully moving around the room as he disarms and disables the invading soldiers one at a time. Bucky is less fluid as his fighting style significantly impaired by the loss of his arm, meaning he no longer can shield himself from bullets or rely on the crippling strength the metal arm provided. However, even without it, he is no less terrifying to watch in battle.

He ducks under the arm of one of the soldiers, stepping behind him and snaking his right arm around the soldier's neck before twisting it with a sickening crack. Another takes his place only to receive an elbow to the nose before Bucky grabs the knife from the sheath on the man's waist and jabs it into his knee. I cringe at the cry of pain, watching - frozen in place - while Bucky twists the knife before pulling it out and effortlessly sliding it across the man's neck like his skin is butter.

Two soldiers advance next, and a third takes advantage of Bucky's distracted state to move toward me. My breath hitches in my chest as the man throws his first punch, connecting with my cheekbone, and sends me into the wall. I can hardly see straight as he grabs my arms and connects his knee with my ribcage, knocking the wind from my chest, and I collapse to the ground.

Luckily, he comes with me. Once I'm able to catch my breath, ignoring the pain in my stomach, I roll the man off me only to see that he's dead. His contact with my skin - while excruciating for me - was enough for my handy-dandy defense mechanism to work.

I never thought I'd be so glad to be a freak.

Scrambling to my feet, I narrowly avoid gunfire as I watch Bucky being overpowered by three soldiers. His serum-enhanced strength gives him enough power to ward off the brunt of their attacks, but - without his arm - his left side is unguarded and susceptible to their blows. He disarms one of the men without blinking, his body moving so fast that I can hardly watch, before knocking another one unconscious. However, it is the third soldier who takes advantage of an opening and drives her knife into his side.

"Bucky!" I cry, rushing forward only to be caught by another soldier.

His blue eyes flash toward me, and I know instantly that I've made a mistake in distracting him. The woman whirls around to deliver a solid kick to his chest, slamming him back into the wall, before advancing and pressing her knife into his throat.

I push against the man who is holding me without any success, my eyes wild as I watch Bucky stare down the woman. T'Challa is currently occupied with several men, so he is unable to help, which means it's on me.

Shit. Shit, shit, shit.

Raising my hand, I push my palm into the face of the man holding me back and force him away. He screams in pain as I do so, crumpling to the floor in an instant, while I drag myself out of his arms and tackle the woman holding a knife to Bucky's throat.

I don't know what caused me to do it. Something about him - whether it's the fact that he's become my confidante over the past few weeks...even though he doesn't know it or how he somehow knows my name - won't let me stand idly by while he is taken by these assholes. I don't know why they're here or what they came for, but my body jumps into action before my mind can catch up.

The woman recovers quickly, her superior training overtaking my novice blows in seconds, and suddenly it's me on the floor with a knife to my throat. My arms are trapped beneath her legs, and none of my skin is exposed to hers.

Oh god. This was a bad idea.

"Let her go," Bucky growls, hazarding a step toward us. "I'll go with you, just...let her go."

She laughs, "What good does that do?" Sneering, her eyes land where Bucky's missing arm should be. "You're damaged goods."

"Then why are you here?" I ask.

The blade pinches the skin of my neck, and I can feel a trickle of blood roll down my skin. This really needs to stop happening to me. Trying not to make any sudden movements, I shift my wrist to the side in an attempt to make it smaller so I can squeeze my arm out from where she's trapped it by my side.

"You don't know?" The woman replies with a smirk. "Your sister is waiting for you."

Ari's name does exactly what you'd think it would do. It pisses me off. So much so, in fact, that I'm able to free my right arm from its prison and latch my hand around the woman's wrist. The blade is still pressed to my throat, and I struggle to keep her from plunging it into my neck. Within seconds, however, her face turns from determination to shock as her eyes roll back in her head and she collapses on top of me.

Her knife clatters to the ground, scratching my cheek as it falls, and I breathe a sigh of relief.

She's dead.