Chapter 22

"No."

Bucky's deep voice is low and firm, speaking before I'm even able to process my thoughts. I whirl around to face him, eyes wide, as my heart pounds against my chest. I can't believe this is happening. I can't believe they've had this video and kept it from me. I can't believe...

"...two days?" I ask him quietly. "You kept this from me for two days?!"

S'yan speaks up, reminding me of how much I hate that he's here, "No, sthandwa sam. I kept it from you for two days. T'Challa and I discussed it..."

"Stop calling me that," I interrupt, clenching my fists as I shift my glare from Bucky to my biological father.

He ignores me, "T'Challa and I discussed it, and we believed it prudent to verify the video's information first, as well as utilize our own sources to track it and find Artemis."

"And?" I ask incredulously.

T'Challa takes a step toward me, his eyes weary, "We were unable to locate her."

"Great!" I say, throwing my hands up in the air. "I have two days to get to Athens or they're going to kill my sister, and you decided - hey, I know, let's not tell Chloe because obviously she can't handle it."

S'yan sighs, "Stha--"

"No," I snap, eyes blazing. "No more. You lied to me for my entire life, and this? This is unforgivable. If anything happens to Artemis, I will kill you."

Harsh words, I know, but I'm absolutely seething with rage. I feel betrayed by everyone in this room - T'Challa, Steve, Bucky. How long did he know? If it was S'yan and T'Challa who decided to keep this from me, does that mean Bucky and Steve were in the dark too? No, that can't be right. When I walked in, Bucky snapped at them for not breaking it to me easy.

Damn it. He knew. He knew and he didn't tell me anything. I shouldn't be surprised - after all, I've only known him for a few weeks - but I can't help but be disappointed. I thought he was different.

"I'm going to Athens," I tell the four men, all of them watching me carefully. "I don't care what you say, I don't care what you think, I'm going."

It's Steve's turn to speak up, and the blonde super soldier gives me a sheepish look. I brace myself for a Captain America-style lecture. If he ever decides to quit being a superhero, I'm pretty sure Steve Rogers would make an excellent high school principal. I can already feel the guilt sinking into my chest, and he hasn't even said anything yet.

"Chloe," he says, running a hand across the back of his neck as he hesitates. "Are you sure you're ready for this?"

"You can't sto--wait," I stare up at him. "You think I should go?"

Bucky shakes his head from the shadowy corner of the room he occupies, "Absolutely not. Steve, you can't be serious."

"It's clear we don't have another option," Steve argues.

I definitely agree with him. We don't have another option. They've wasted two days trying to pursue other options - without me, even though this is clearly my choice - and failed. Now, we do it my way. I can't help but smile at Steve, thrilled that he actually agrees with me, and I resist the urge fist pump the air.

Bucky, however, groans.

"This is a trap," he insists, running his hand through his long hair. "Clearly, it's a trap. They want her, they took her sister to get her. What the hell do you think they're going to do to her once they have her? Have a picnic? I won't let that happen."

"Let it happen?" I scoff. "You're not responsible for me. None of you are. I've made my decision, so you can either help me get my sister back or you can leave. End of discussion."

Bucky glares at me, "Fine."

He pushes away from the wall he's been leaning against, throws open the door, and slams it behind him. Steve sighs - clearly he was expecting that reaction. They must've been arguing about it before they even told me about the video, given the tension in the room, and I'm guessing that the majority didn't agree with Bucky.

I don't want to come between the two men, especially not when they've finally started recovering the friendship they lost over half a century ago, but I push my guilt aside. Ari is my focus, not Bucky Barnes' feelings. I have to get my sister back, and I don't really give a rat's ass what happens to me in the process. If it's a trap, fine. It's obvious that whoever is behind this doesn't want to meet for gyros and chat, and I can deal with them if they try to take me.

That's the reason I've been training so hard anyway, right? I wanted to be able to protect myself, and now I can. Granted, I'm no Black Widow - let's be real here, I'll never be that talented in combat - but I don't want to be. I can, however, defend myself. My new powers or whatever they are, combined with what Bucky has taught me, I'm confident that I can do this.

I have to be able to do this. I don't have any other choice.

Turning to Steve, I take a deep breath, "When do we leave?"

*****
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Oh hai. Regular updates of Lost + Found are back.

Comment + vote! 

x