Chapter 35

Tucking me around the corner on the balcony, Bucky ran his hand down the side of my face. His eyes were blazing with words left unsaid, something unidentifiable mixing with regret and worry, while he pressed his forehead against mine.

"Stay here," he instructs carefully, shifting me so I'm out of eyesight for anyone entering the door. "If it's them, climb the railing and jump to the next apartment over."

I shake my head, gripping his arms tightly, as I look at the four foot gap between balconies.

"You can do it, Chloe," Bucky encourages me, "You'll need to keep moving. The balcony on the other side of that one is walled off, and they have a sunshade. Move to the back, away from the street, and hide there."

Pressing his lips against my forehead, he releases me before I'm able to argue with him, and I find myself grasping at the air. He moves silently through the apartment, stepping out of the bedroom and into the tiny kitchen just as the doorknob jiggles. Bucky flashes a warning look toward where I'm hidden, unbeknownst to me, right before a crash sounds as the door handle is broken and pushed open with a dull thud.

Seconds pass like hours, and my heart feels like it is no longer beating. Any moment I expect to hear the sound of gunfire, a conflict breaking out between Bucky and the unknown invaders, and I clench my fists whilst looking at the balcony to my left. I know I can make the jump, but the truth of the matter is...do I want to leave Bucky? Can I leave him to be taken by those men? What if they're Hydra?

Just as I pluck up the willpower to stay, rushing into the bedroom toward the noise, a voice I don't recognize hits my ears.

"Dude, really?" The man says. "C'mon, man. It's bad enough I had to spend a week trying to find you, now we gotta stay with this asshole?"

Ahead of me, I see Bucky's shoulders relax as another voice joins in.

"Sam, knock it off. They need our help," the second man says.

Wait. I recognize that voice.

Barreling through the bedroom, I round the corner to see a man regarding Bucky with a raised eyebrow while a familiar blonde man attempts to repair the door to the apartment.

"Steve?" I ask, stepping into the room.

Bucky whirls around, his knife now tucked safely under his shirt, and he sidesteps to allow me to enter the small kitchen. Steve straightens, satisfied that the door is closed, and adjusts his jacket. He runs a hand through his hair and smiles.

"Hey, Chloe!" Steve replies warmly. "It's good to see you."

Exhaling, relief floods through my system. If Steve is here, that must mean they weren't able to take him. I hope the same stands for T'Challa, and before I'm able to ask, Steve steps forward to engulf me in a big bear hug.

"T'Challa's okay," he reassures me. "I'm just glad to see you're okay."

I nod, stepping back to Bucky who is watching me closely, and smile, "Of course I'm okay. Remember? My plan was always to rely on Bucky. He kept me safe."

"That's not even remotely true," Bucky argues. "You were the one who saved my ass, and you took a bullet in the process."

Steve opens his mouth to speak, clearly shocked by this news, but the other man steps in before he can say anything.

"Sorry to cut this short, but is anyone gonna introduce me?" The man asks impatiently. "Or do I get to keep standing here like an idiot?"

Bucky smirks, "Probably the latter."

"Shut up, iRobot," the man replies. "You wouldn't even be here if it weren't for me."

Steve sighs, "Sam, this is Chloe. Chloe, meet Sam."

"Also known as the Falcon," Sam adds with a smirk. "You may have heard of me."

I shake my head, and he groans. Bucky laughs, while Steve chuckles to himself. Clearly there is no lost love between Sam and Bucky, so I give him a polite nod instead of extending a handshake.

"Wait, weren't you there in DC?" I ask, glancing from Bucky to Steve. "When..."

My voice trails, and Bucky glances at the ground. He didn't like to talk about any of his activities as the Winter Soldier, not that I could blame him or anything. Steve nods, and Sam smirks proudly.

"You do recognize me then," he says. "Must've seen it on TV. Impossible to forget this face."

Bucky grimaces, muttering, "God knows I've tried."

"Actually, I was there," I tell Sam, shooting a pointed look at Bucky. "I assumed you were just some S.H.I.E.L.D. agent."

Steve claps him on the back, "Sorry, buddy."

"Hey, it's alright. I'm confident enough to know that mistakes happen," Sam replies with a suave smile. "At least now we've got it all cleared up. Now we can move forward."

Stepping toward me, Bucky places a hand on the small of my back. It's a possessive move, that much is clear, and Sam seems to get the message. He looks surprised, but not nearly as surprised as Steve.

The blonde super soldier looks flustered, and he runs a hand behind his neck before stuttering, "So, um...mind if we crash here?"

"The floor is yours," Bucky replies. "We're a little cramped for space."

Sam groans, "That means me, doesn't it?"

"I don't really need a whole lot of sleep, Sam," Steve says apologetically.

Bucky smirks, "You're welcome to leave."

"You wish, G.I. Joe," Sam shoots back, lifting his backpack over his shoulder and pushing past Bucky into the bedroom.

Steve shakes his head, and I chuckle at the interaction between the two men. Sam and Bucky seem to enjoy pestering each other, one as Steve's best friend from his past and the other as his current best friend, while Steve must try to mediate between the two.

"How do I make this TV work?" Sam calls out from the bedroom.

I laugh, "I'll come help you."

Bucky slides his hand to the side of my waist, tugging me toward him as he places a brief kiss on my cheek, before releasing me. I smile at Steve before disappearing into the bedroom to help Sam, leaving Bucky alone with the tall blonde super soldier.

Steve smiles sheepishly at Bucky, "So...you and Chloe?"

"I...um..." Bucky glances into the bedroom, making sure its occupants can't hear him before taking a seat at the tiny kitchen table and inviting Steve to do the same. "I honestly don't know."

"She's good for you," Steve tells his friend, pulling out a chair and sitting down. "You seem happier. Both of you."

Bucky glances at the table top, running his hand over the stains marking the cheap wooden surface, "I hope so."

"Have you told her how you feel?" Steve asks.

Shaking his head, Bucky runs his hand through his hair, "No. I...I honestly don't know how I feel."

"You sure?" His best friend replies with a knowing smile. "Seems pretty obvious."

Bucky frowns, "Steve, I...I don't do this. I don't know how to do this."

"Trust your instincts, Buck," Steve replies, glancing into the bedroom where Chloe is laughing with Sam. "You've never had trouble with women before. I doubt you'll start now."

The ex-assassin glances up at his best friend, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth, "She's different, Steve. This one's different."

*****
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Oh hey, double update. Remember me? It's Jandra.

Comment + vote! 

x