Chapter 25

I can't believe it. I can't even begin to find the words to express my shock as Bucky enters the room, the light reflecting off the shiny new metal of his arm. It looks similar to the one I first saw in DC, molded to reflect the shape and size of his right bicep perfectly, only I know it contains significantly more power. The red star still decorates the shoulder, the design faded, and it's obvious from the design of the bionic arm that a few upgrades have been put into place.

"How long are you going to stare at me like that?"

Bucky's voice is softer than I'd expected, a hint of uncertainty laced between every word. His expression is nearly unreadable, blue eyes trained on me, as he takes a step into the room.

I exhale slowly, "When did this happen?"

"About an hour ago," he replies.

Damn. There's no way they could've done the procedure that quickly unless he had planned it ahead of time, and - based on what's happened so far today - I'm betting that's exactly what happened. Bucky knew I'd react this way, and he wasn't about to let me go to Greece alone. With one arm, he's strong, sure, but against Hydra? He's pulling out all the stops.

For me.

"I thought..." My voice catches in my throat. "I thought you didn't want it. You told me..."

He nods, "I know."

Steve told me that Bucky had refused the arm the doctors created for him. T'Challa had them design it and start production when he first went under, that way something would be ready for him when he woke up. Unfortunately, we pulled him out of cryo a bit sooner than they anticipated, so they'd ramped up production so Bucky could have it as soon as possible.

I was baffled to learn that he'd rejected it, but Steve thought it had something to do with the memories of the experiments Hydra performed on him. I can't even imagine what he must have suffered. First, he fell from the train and was nearly dead when they found him, then they began experimenting on him until they could turn him into the ultimate living weapon. Getting a new arm would force him to relive all of that, and I couldn't blame him for wanting to avoid the experience.

Even without it, he was more than capable of taking care of himself. It clearly took some adjusting at first, learning how to function with one arm, but he was still stronger than most men and way more skilled in combat. I'd been getting the impression that he wanted to live without it, permanently, but now...now I can't help but feel guilty for the fact that I've put him through this.

Standing, I take a step toward him and stretch out my hand toward his arm. He watches me carefully, the muscles in his jaw clenched, as he nods to give me permission to touch it. The metal is cool under my fingertips, marked with ridges that allow the panels to flex and move in order to increase range of motion. Running my hand slowly over the smooth surface, I find myself in awe of the technology that allows this arm to function so realistically. If I didn't know better, I'd think it he's wearing some kind of metal sleeve, like armor tailored to his skin.

He sucks in a breath, closing his eyes for a moment, and I glance up at him.

"Can you feel it?" I ask.

Bucky nods, letting out a short laugh, "Barely. I can't tell if it's real, or if I'm imagining it...like it's some sort of phantom pain. The doctors here told me that it's wired up to my brain, which is how I control it, and there are some sensory receptors transmitting signals through the arm to my body. It will learn over time too, though I'm not sure I understand how that works. It's not just pressure - I can tell the difference between textures too."

My fingers slide down his forearm toward his wrist, and I smile as his face visibly relaxes into the sensation. He looks like he's struggling to come to terms with the arm, torn between enjoying the feeling of my hand on the metal and hating the fact that he's wearing it once more.

"Has it always been like this?" I ask him. "I mean, the other arm...did it do this too?"

"No," he replies, opening his eyes to look down at me. "I couldn't feel anything."

So this is all new. I can't even imagine what he's feeling right now, regaining the ability to not only have his arm - but to feel things again. It must be overwhelming.

His hand moves suddenly, his fingers catching mine, and he smiles at me. For a moment, I see a glimpse of the man he once was. The one Steve tells stories about who could make any woman swoon. An ornery grin twists his lips up at the corners, and I can feel my heart pounding heavily in my chest as he gently brushes his metal thumb across the back of my hand. I don't know how, but it feels like silk sliding across my skin - ever so careful not to hurt me - and I bite my lip as goosebumps trail up my arm.

"Chloe," Steve's voice calls out in the hallway.

Bucky drops my hand suddenly, taking a few steps away, and the easy-going look on his face disappears as quickly as it arrived. He turns toward the doorway just as Steve arrives, the blonde super soldier lifting an eyebrow at his best friend's appearance. While he doesn't seem as surprised as I was, it's obvious that he wasn't expecting this.

"The jet's ready," he tells both of us, clapping Bucky on the shoulder. "Are you sure you're ready for this?"

We both nod, and Steve gives us a warm smile.

"Let's go get your sister back," he says.