Chapter 26

The flight to Greece isn't taking nearly as long as the flight from DC, but it still feels like it's been dragging on for ages. Steve's flying the plane, with T'Challa in the co-pilot's seat, and Bucky is in the back of the plane facing me. He hasn't said anything since we took off, and the closer we get to Athens, the more nervous I'm starting to feel.

Hydra is probably waiting for me, and there's a chance that this entire thing could be a trap. God, I would never forgive myself if they were using Artemis as bait to get not only me, but Bucky as well. I wouldn't be able to live with the guilt of him returning to Hydra, being forced back into the life he fought so hard to escape.

My hands are trembling ever-so-slightly, so I clench them into fists and stare down at my feet. I just need to remember my training, and stick to the plan. There are five main entrances to the square, four of which are narrow roads that split off the square while the fifth is a larger entrance that branches into multiple roads. Steve will be stationed at that entrance, while Bucky and T'Challa will each cover two of the other exits to the square.

It's going to be okay. I just need to keep telling myself that, and maybe I'll start believing it before we land in Athens.

"Chloe?" Bucky's voice draws my attention upward. "Just...breathe."

I nod, chewing on my lip, before looking back at my feet, "Right."

"Artemis is going to be fine, I promise," he reassures me. "I know it probably doesn't matter much to you right now, but Steve...he's actually really good at these rescue-type missions. Saved my ass more than I can count."

Glancing up at him, I see the concern in his blue eyes. He's trying to pull me out of my anxious thoughts, and I'm grateful for it. If I keep sitting here in silence, I'm fairly certain that the anticipation will drive me crazy.

"There must be a story there," I reply with a half-hearted grin.

He chuckles, one of his few laughs, and nods, "Which one?"

"Which one's your favorite?" I ask him.

Bucky pauses, taking a moment to think it over, and smiles, "That was back in '43. You know I was in the Army, right?"

I nod, and he continues, "107th Infantry Regiment. We were stationed near Azzano, Italy. We were battling these German soldiers before, um..." he hesitates for a moment. "Before Hydra arrived. Of course, back then, Hydra was part of the special weapons division of the Nazi Schutzstaffel. They wiped out the battle field - German and Allied troops were completely decimated - and they took the rest of us hostage."

"I saw the museum exhibit," I say softly, not wanting him to continue if the memory is too uncomfortable. 

He forces a smile, "Bet you didn't know that was the first time I'd seen Steve since he received the serum. Hell, I didn't know anything about Captain America at the time, let alone that he might be my best friend. Then this guy shows up, saves my life, and it turns out to be the punk from Brooklyn who always got into fights he couldn't win."

"Now he can, I guess," I reply, averting my gaze once more.

Bucky nods, a distant look in his blue eyes, and stands. Crossing the jet quickly, he takes the seat next to me and places his hand lightly on my arm. We sit like that in silence for a while, neither one of us sure what to say. We're both lost in our thoughts - Bucky in the past and me in the future - so we find the smallest semblance of comfort together in the back of the jet.

I know he's worried about what's waiting for us on the ground in Athens. Sure, they might get me, but I know he's worried for himself too. He'd be stupid not to be. After spending so long under Hydra's control, the prospect of returning to that - of losing the identity he spent so long trying to recover - it must be horrifying. First receiving his new arm, and now this?

Just as I open my mouth to speak, to apologize, Bucky turns to look at me. His long brown hair falls in front of his eyes, their clear blue color hidden momentarily, before he pushes it out of his face. I can't remember what I was going to say, so I just stare at him as he slides his fingers down my forearm to hold my hand.

"When Steve makes a promise, he sticks to it. We both do," Bucky reassures me, finally breaking the silence as his fingers interlace with mine. "'Til the end of the line." 

*****
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Comment + vote! 

Don't forget to check out my brand new YA book, fragile. If you like Chloe + Anna, you're gonna love the main character Ava. 

x