Nineteen

Alice finally stopped talking, her eyes leaving the spot on the back of the closet door where they'd been fixated for the last forty five minutes as she recounted her story to Spencer.

As soon she'd started talking, Spencer had slipped his cell from his pocket setting it on the floor between them and switching on the vice recorder app. He knew this technically wasn't official as they weren't in the interview room, but he didn't want her to have to go through this story again. Her voice had started out shaky as she'd began but eventually it had levelled out into a completely flat tone with almost no emotion what so ever. He had questions that he needed answers to, things she'd mentioned that hadn't been bought up earlier today. But first...

"Ally, you won't be convicted if that's what you're worried about. You're a witness here and you will be protected at all costs. I doubt very much that there'd even be any evidence that could lead to a trial for this particular murder."

She whipped her face around to his, her eyes narrowed.

"I'm not worried about being fucking convicted. I'm worried because.... Because I could have killed someone. And how many people have I let get killed because I've only just spoken up. I've been out of that place for five years. How many more have they killed eh? When I could have done something about it."

"But you had reasons not to. And I understand that, everyone would understand that. The important thing is that you got out when you did and that you have come forward and told the FBI about all of this. The BAU will do something about this, Lewis will be stopped one way or another." Spencer stretched his legs out, shutting the voice recorder off.

"Are you ready to go back downstairs, or to at least go back to your apartment?" he needed to stand up but he didn't really want to leave her alone. And it was getting very late right now. Alice nodded and pushed the closet door with the back of her hand, letting it close as she rose to her feet awkwardly. Spencer followed suit and the two headed back stairs.

Ellen and Robert were in the kitchen where Alice had to go through to get to her apartment, unless she went outside of the house and around through the back entrance. Her sisters eyes were red rimmed and her cheeks blotchy. She looked up at Ally as they entered, Ellen standing and walking over to her.

"I'm.... I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything you went through and I'm sorry that I didn't do a good enough job of being there for you and giving you a home that you wanted to stay in. I just.... I couldn't be Mom, I didn't want to me. The responsibility was too much. But I need you to know that despite our differences, you're my baby sister. Whatever you did or didn't do, you had your reasons and I know that you'll have done it to survive. I wasn't there for you then, but I'm here now. So is Robert. I'm sorry."

Alice had rarely heard such emotion in her sisters voice, Ellen hardly ever apologised for anything. Robert had a sad smile on his face, pleased that his wife was apologising and trying to make things right, but sad that she even had to. Alice surprised herself and her sister by lunging forward and wrapping her arms around Ellen's neck, her sister quickly enveloping her waist with her own limbs. They held each other for a moment before breaking apart without words, just a look of understanding passing between them.

"I'm going to my room. I'm tired and I need a drink, I think. Ellie, for what it's worth, I'm sorry too. For everything. Goodnight sissie" she used her very very old nickname for her elder sister, earning a soft smile from the older woman. "Goodnight Robert."

"Night Ally, Goodnight Dr Reid."

...

Back at headquarters early the next morning and Aaron Hotchner and the other Agents were making a list of questions they needed to ask the girl today. Spencer had sent the voice recording across to the team last night, the two having yet to arrive.

"Blood buyers?" Derek called out and Penelope jotted it down on a notepad. Aaron nodded.

"She mentions someone called Abby, she's not talked about her before but she sounds important." JJ commented, Penelope scribbling the name down.

"I still can't work out why the bodies were dumped in the surrounding counties. If they were so secretive then why not bury them on site or at least hide them. Yet they were left in relatively clear view." Rossi contributed to the list.

"When they arrive, Dave and Spencer will take the leads on questioning again. Penelope have you come any closer to finding out who Lewis is?"

The blonde shook her head. "No sir, I've pulled up a list of all the children that were reported missing and that would have been around his age when he was found, and I've used facial recognition software using the few photos we have from Alice of him as an adult. Even with the advanced technologies we have now, it's not bringing up anything that's even close to a match."

"Keep trying" Hotch nodded at her, turning to Derek and Agent Jareau. "I need you two working the maps. I know they're normally Reid's forte but she mentioned that the camp is around twenty miles away from the county she was found in. We know where that is at least. And she managed to get from the compound in two days of walking, or at least so she says. Pull up any aerial photography we have of that area. We need a location on this place, we need to start planning how we're going to get in, and how we're going to take it down with minimal losses to life. They have weapons and having been planning for an attack of some kind for years. Do NOT contact any of the park rangers. Garcia has pulled their financial records, and their bank accounts are indeed highly inflated in comparison to their wages. Cash deposits every few months. We will crack this one, we have to."