Thirty Two

Over the next hour Charlie told Spencer everything he could, answering all of the profilers questions to the best of his knowledge.

The team listened in, taking note of everything the man said and adding it the list of information they already had.

The camps numbers were a lot smaller now, they already knew that from the conversation that had taken place at breakfast. The "elders" now consisted of Lewis and his family, as well as Oliver, Molly and Nicholas; an ex lawyer who hadn't been there when Alice had. Charlie couldn't give the exact number of weapons that the camp had left and he didn't think he could get them all into the armoury undetected, but he knew they'd had to sell over half of what they owned on the black market.

Since the incident with Katie's blood five years ago, they'd lost their blood buyers. Giving blood was no longer a necessity, the residents had been told; they now had enough supplies. The real reason was that the buyers could no longer trust Lewis to provide them with clean blood, and they weren't willing to pay to take the chance anymore. The poppies had still provided an income for a few years until the illnesses had broken out and the camp had struggled to maintain and farm the crop. With no one able to properly look after it, the quality had become poor, and again their buyers weren't interested in poor quality stock. With the income from these avenues dwindling and the number of residents severely reduced, the elders had made the decision to sell some of the guns and a few of the vehicles the camp owned, to generate income in order to buy food and other supplies they needed to survive. All in all, the camp had suffered a number of blows over the years which had put them in an extremely bad position. Although they tried to be as self sufficient as possible, it had only worked when they had the people there to maintain it. The herb garden was a mess and the vegetable crops had been all but ruined, so they were having to start from scratch again, and pay for food in the mean time whilst they worked themselves back up.

This wasn't good from the elders perspective but from the FBI's perspective, it was very good news indeed.

"What's your plan then, what happens now?" Charlie asked when Spencer had ran out of questions that he could answer.

"I need to communicate with my team, later on today. And then come up with a plan to separate Lewis and possibly Rebecca from the others. My team can then approach and take them into custody."

Charlie nodded thoughtfully. "I could help with that. One of the perimeter gates, it's been unstable for a while now. Some bad winds over the winter caused it to take quite a bashing and I've been telling Lewis that it's going to come down any night. If I tell him it's down, he, Nicholas and.... " he hesitated slightly before continuing, ".... Eric, they're the best builders that we have here now. They'll rush to it if it actually collapses. Could your team make that happen if I tell you which gate it is? It's far enough away from the main area of the compound and it's a fairly big area with enough places for people to hide undetected."

Spencer was nodding along with Charlie as he was speaking. That could work. In fact it could work extremely well. But he needed to communicate with the team.

"Can you show me where it is?" Spencer asked him.

"I can later if that's okay. I have no reason to be seen over that end of the compound now but later I will have. You can come with me then. I do have a question though. What happens.... What happens afterwards. To people like myself and Alice. We've done things, but only because we've been forced to."

Spencer understood the younger man's question, it was one plenty of people in his position would have. He'd essentially assisted in the murder of innocent people and not done anything, but only because he felt that he had to.