Thirty One

Once breakfast was over, Alice and Spencer stayed behind with Charlie to help Hazel and Richard clean up. They wanted to be seen to be making an effort to fit into camp life, to show Lewis that they really did want to be here.

Lewis had looked at them approvingly when he saw Alice and Spencer taking the stacks of dishes through to the back, following them to speak with them.

"I'm pleased to see you're both getting stuck in. We'll add you into the chore rota in a few days once Spencer has had chance to settle."

"Thank you. We want to get back into a routine as soon as possible. Charlie mentioned that he's on gardening duty in the herb garden later. We thought we might tag along and help unless there was something else you wanted us to do?" Alice asked the question so casually, unloading plates onto the huge wooden worktop as she did.

"That sounds like an excellent plan. You and Spencer should also think about looking for a new hut to call your home. I know we put you in your old room last night, but Spencer suggested this morning that you two have your own place and I do now agree. You two are together after all and I think Spencer feels slightly uncomfortable sharing the same bed that we used to share."

Alice was surprised that Spencer had out rightly made that suggestion, he was meant to be appeasing the leader so they could learn their secrets, not coming in and making changes straight away. But when she saw Lewis look over to Spencer she saw a look of respect upon his face. In a small period of time Spencer had managed to win Lewis over. Part of his FBI training, or part of his natural personality, Alice couldn't tell. She did feel most at ease with him out of all the Agents she'd encountered over the last week, but she assumed that because she'd sought him out and not the others. But then again, out of everyone they could have chosen to go in with her, it had been him. Alice knew in part it was down to the relationship the two had with each other but given how dangerous Lewis and the other elders had the potential to be, the BAU could have chosen someone else. Someone more skilled in weaponry or combat. But they'd sent him, because he obviously didn't need any of that. He could disarm with his brain, his words, rather than with a gun; that was his special skill.

"Oh! I hadn't actually thought he might feel that way but yes, it would be nice for us to have our own place. Are there any specific huts we're limited to, or is it just any that are boarded up?" Alice wanted to check that he wasn't trying to move her to another place where there were perhaps listening devices, or it was some sort of a trap. Although Lewis had given her no reason to be, she was paranoid.

"Any of the of empty huts. Take your pick. After you've helped Charlie in the garden, perhaps he could take you around them and help get one ready once you choose one. The garden should only take an hour or so with three of you."

Alice nodded, looking over to Spencer who was listening in.

"This evening, we'll all eat together again in the main hall. You and Spencer can sit with Rebecca and I, at the main table."

Where everyone could see her, Alice thought. Not that everyone was a lot of people nowadays.

...

The herb and vegetable garden wasn't as Alice remembered it. When they moved the infirmary, they left the garden where it was but because of the amount of sickness over the last few years, it wasn't as well tended to. The poppy beds were gone, they'd become too overgrown Charlie told them and they were no longer a source of income for the camp. In fact, their income had also drastically reduced as their numbers had.

Making extra sure that they weren't being watched, Charlie placed the shears that he'd been using down.

"So what's the deal then. Are you a cop?" he addressed Spencer and Alice felt her breath hitch in her chest as she moved to Reid's side.

"I'm not a cop, no."

"What then? You two aren't married. I know Alice well enough to be sure that once she left this place, she wouldn't let herself be manipulated by another man, especially one who wanted her to come back here."

"Charlie.... " Alice reached out and pressed her hand to his arm.

"Five years Ally. I thought when I helped you leave, that there'd be police here almost immediately, ready to take this place down."

"I was scared."

"So was I. I was scared something had happened to you in the woods. I was scared of my own father and mother, the people I'd grown up around. I was scared of who I was going to become because I hadn't had the guts to leave like you had. I was scared I was never going to see you again, Alice."

"Charlie... I'm here now. It took me a while to gather up the courage to do the right thing, but I'm here now."

"So you're here. What happens now. Why are you here, and who is Spencer?"

Alice glanced to Reid exchanging a look. He gave a slight nod of his head.

"You said what you said the night I left still stands?"

"Yes."

"And we can trust you. We need to be able to trust you Charlie."

The older man seem exasperated "Alice, I helped you escape. I stayed behind to help make sure your daughter was safe. You can trust me. I want out of this place too. My father, Lewis... He needs help, he's not right, he never has been, the older I got and the more I saw of people, the more I read about the world, the more I realised that he couldn't be telling the truth. He's done things, terrible things, and he's convinced other people to do those terrible things for him. Whatever it takes to get out of here, to get the people that do want to leave out, I'll do. You can trust me. "

Spencer moved forward so that he was closer to Charlie, keeping his voice low.

"I'm FBI. I work in the Behavioural Analysis Unit and Alice approached us a little over a week ago and told us about this place, about her time here and what happened. My team is highly trained and highly skilled, and Alice and I have been sent back in to find out numbers, to gather intelligence so that my team can take Lewis and then other dangerous residents into custody. But we need details, details you can give to us. Are you willing to help us."

The team were on the edge of their seats, Agent Hotchner ready to give the signal for the Agents in the area surrounding the compound to swoop in, should Charlie prove untrustworthy.

After an intense moment of waiting, Charlie spoke.

"What do you need to know? I'll tell you anything and everything."