Thirty Three

"Spencer.. What the hell was that all about?"

It was after dinner and all the remaining chores had been done. Spencer and Alice were walking back to their new hut and Alice was whispering furiously to him.

"What? Oh come on Ally, you can't tell me you've not been dying to ask him those questions. Plus, I wanted to judge his reactions."

"And?"

"And it's like you said to me before. He seems to genuinely believe everything he's saying. He gave no indication of actually being aware of Lewis Carroll and his Alice stories, but it's likely it's come from somewhere deep within his subconscious. Perhaps his mother or a carer used to read them to him before.... Well before whatever happened to him, happened."

"Do you think we'll ever know what actually did happen to him to make him believe the things he does?" This was one the major things that was eating away at Alice.

"Honestly. Probably not. Even with our advanced technology, Penelope hasn't been able to figure out who is actually is and where he came from. Thousands of children go missing each year, either through abductions or running away from home. The story when the Goldsteins found him was big enough to make the local and some national newspapers because of who they were, so it's a possibility that his real parents or guardians would have seen it and that they just didn't care."

They stopped outside of their hut.

"But that's so sad" Alice commented.

"Yes, it is. But it happens. More than you'd like to think."

She didn't reply, opening the door to their 'home' and entering it, kicking off her shoes. The huts were very simplistic, with only one room that housed a bed, a fire place and some cupboards and counters for storage. There were communal toilets and showers for everyone to use and meals were prepared and eaten together in the main hall anyway. It was only the house where Lewis and Rebecca lived, where Alice had lived, that had its own bathroom and kitchen.

"So what do we do now?" she asked, lowering herself onto the bed.

"Make contact with the team."

Spencer rummaged in his bag and found the cell phone, typing in the code that would switch it to radio transmission instead. When he'd spoken to Charlie alone earlier he'd asked about the camps own radio, pleased to be told that it was no longer in use. Spencer tapped away, adjusting the frequencies until finally he heard the voice of his supervisor.

"Dr Reid, Alice?"

"We can hear you" Spencer replied, moving to sit by Ally on the bed.

"We'll make this quick, just in case. You're both doing very well, keep it up. The plan that Charlie mentioned to you both earlier, will definitely work and that area of the compound is a decent spot to do it in. We can't do it tonight though, we need access to that gate to pull it down when Charlie is on duty which is tomorrow, according to what we overheard earlier."

"Yes" Spencer nodded "Eric is in duty there tonight."

"So you two have one more day, then we'll get you out."

"How though" Alice asked. "Do we go to the gate as well?"

This was something the team were still working on. Did they leave Alice and Spencer in until they'd taken the others into custody or did they 'take them into custody' at the same time. They might need Spencer and his mind if things went wrong.

"Do you think Charlie would be able to get you both a weapon?"

"We can ask." Spencer replied.

"Then ask. Make contact with us again tomorrow night and we'll let you know what needs to happen. For now though, both of you get some rest."