Twenty

Spencer had spent another night on the pull out couch in Alice's apartment, the pair having gone upstairs immediately after her and Ellen had seemingly made amends. Alice had walked straight into her kitchenette, pulling out a bottle of vodka and taking a hit directly from the bottle, before pouring some into a glass and adding coke. She offered the drink to Spencer and he shook his head.

"Could I just have the coke by itself?" he definitely shouldn't be drinking whilst he was meant to be watching over her. She poured him a tall glass of coke, adding ice cubes before passing it to him. She took another long pull of her drink and set it down on the counter.

"Would you believe that I'd never been drunk before until I was 24 years old."

"Really?" Reid was surprised, but then almost as soon as the words left his mouth he realised why she probably hadn't been drunk.

"Yup. Alcohol was deemed unnecessary. We had wine at matching ceremonies and things but it was rationed out. When I came back, I didn't dare take anything that would impair my senses or reactions at first. It was only last year, when Ellen and Robert threw a dinner party for his work colleagues that I experienced the feeling of being inebriated. One of his associates kept refilling my glass and I passed out in the down stairs bathroom after vomiting in the sink. Ellen yelled at me for an hour the next day, like I was a kid."

"I've never really drank much either. I was too young to get into bars when I was in college so I've never really had that whole experience."

She downers the rest of her drink and then yawned, rubbing her eyes. "I'm going to shower and then turn in. Make yourself at home."

She went into the bathroom and Spencer set about pulling out the couch again, straightening the covers and slipping his shoes, jacket and tie off. He was tired as well but he'd wait for her to get into her bed before he settled in. He placed his gun on the floor at the side of the pull out, wondering if he'd wake up to find it by her bed again.

When she came out, she was dressed in pajamas this time and she came and hovered by the couch.

"Spencer.....I just wanted to say thank you. For believing me."

She turned away and walked between her bookcases to her sleeping area, flicking off the lamps that were on in there after she'd climbed in between the sheets. Reid got himself ready for bed and switched off the remaining lights before settling down. The pair were asleep almost instantly.

At around 3am Spencer woke up with a start, to see a shape standing by his mattress. He froze, trying to figure out if he could reach down for his gun undetected, but then he realised it wasn't an intruder. It was Ally.

"Alice?" Spencer whispered softly, carefully pulling back his covers and setting his feet onto the floor; pulling himself into a seating position.

Alice didn't move or respond. Spencer stood up and lowered his face to hers trying to see her eyes in the dark. They were wide and glassy and her breathing was heavy.

"Ally... "

Nothing.

She was sleepwalking, she had to be. Spencer touched her shoulders gently, turning her around and lightly pushing her in the direction of her bed.

"Let's get you back to bed, Alice."

He walked behind her, his hand on her lower back until he reached her bed. And that's when he smelt it.

Ammonia. He touched the bed sheets lightly, grimacing when he felt the damp patch roughly where her bottom would have lain. Wiping his hand on his own shirt, Spencer pondered his predicament. Hmmmm, what to do?