Twenty Five

When they arrived at Rylon County Spencer and Alice were separated from the team and went off in a rental car to the motel they'd be waiting in.

They'd been fully briefed again during the plane journey, Hotch and Morgan making extra sure that Alice knew exactly how the technology that they were being sent in with worked. Listening devices concealed in a wrist watch for Spencer and a pendant for Alice, both with enough battery power to last up to 96 hours. The range on them had been field tested and the team were certain that they'd be able to listen in on any conversations that took place once Alice and Spencer were inside the compound.

They were also be sent in with two cells that on the outside, appeared to be just normal cell phones. They'd been pre loaded with the texts messages, internet search history as well as pictures which had been digitally altered to show a time line of Alice and Reid's relationship. The cell phone itself probably wouldn't be able to connect to the normal cell towers due to the location of the compound. However the team hadn't ruled it out as the hikers that been sent in had been able to get some limited service in the National Park but it was sketchy and unreliable. The cells could though be used to transmit via encrypted radio frequency once a certain code was entered from the lock screen. Alice had the code branded into her memory, knowing that if she somehow got separated from Reid that it would be her only way of communicating with the team. They had to be careful though. Although they'd be using an encrypted frequency, the park rangers also used CB radio to communicate with each other and Alice recalled that the compound had actually had a radio as well, although it was rarely used as far as she was aware.

Both were aware of the enormity of what they were about to do and Spencer was surprised by how calm and collected Alice was. When Hotch had tested them yesterday, she hadn't reacted negatively to any of the curve balls he'd thrown at her. Her sister and brother in law, her professor, and even Alice herself had commented on how smart she was, but Spencer was only just realising to exact extent of her intelligence. Perhaps when this was over, she'd be interested in pursuing an actual career within the FBI. She was studying Criminal Psychology after all, although Reid realised that she'd mainly chosen that class in order to try to understand Lewis and his motives.

When they got to the motel and checked in, Alice went for a shower and then curled up in a ball on the bed, seemingly napping. The last few days had been long and Spencer knew she needed her rest. He busied himself on the laptop that he'd bought with him, checking in with Garcia who had set up at the local PD with the rest of the team. They had a few hours wait before the designated pick up time.

"How she doing?" Garcia asked him.

"She's sleeping" Spencer glanced over to the bed, watching the rhythmic rise and fall of Ally's shoulders.

"Perhaps you should too. It could he a long night and you need to be alert in case anything... well, you know."

Spencer did know and he agreed with Garcia. There wasn't anything more he could any way, all of the plans were already in motion. He set his alarm for three hours time and settled down to sleep.

...

The night was cold and as Spencer and Alice exited their hire car at the pick up point, they could see their breath in front of them. Spencer huddled next to Alice, placing his arm around her shoulders to warm her just the way a good husband would.

"Are you okay?"

Ally nodded, brushing her hair out of her eyes and jumping slightly as she heard another car pull into the lot, parking behind them.

"I'm okay. Just nervous. But I'm fine. I'm ready."

Spencer pulled her close, pressing a closed mouth kiss to her forehead, a show for the audience that had just pulled up and were exiting the truck.

The rest of the team watched from their various hidden vantage points, both Morgan and Rossi with sniper rifles trained on the newcomers, just in case. They waited.

Two tall males strode over to them, their eyes locked on Alice. In the dull light, Spencer could recognise them from Alice's photographs as Eric and Charlie, Lewis's sons. Reid could see two burlap sacks swinging from their hands, remembering that Alice had said that she and Rebecca had been blindfolded upon their initial journey into the camp.

The two men stopped in front the pair, the younger looking of the two looking at Ally with a sad expression. It was the older male that spoke though.

"Alice. Long time no see. We're all very pleased to be welcoming you and your new husband back into the fold." There was no hint of nastiness or disdain to his voice, Spencer noted. He seemed genuinely pleased to see Alice again.

"You remember how this goes right?" he held the sack out in front of him and Alice nodded.

She broke away from Spencer, moving towards the male and giving Reid one last glance before the sack was thrown over her head. The same was done to Reid and he felt himself being led towards a vehicle and helped inside.

"Watch your head Alice" he heard a low voice say as a hand was placed over his own head so he didn't bump it.

The two rucksacks with their 'belongings' in were placed at their feet and he felt a small hand find his on the seat as the engine was switched on and the vehicle began to move.

"Spencer" Alice whispered, Spencer barely able to hear her over the engine.

"Mmmm?"

"I'm sorry. For everything."