Chapter 8

The next day at school I notice Derek constantly glancing my way during second period. And if I'm being honest, I don't mind it. As for Jordan, no glances for me, all for Alyssa.

And Jade hasn't tried to contact me at all after yesterday's text. So for the most part, the day goes as usual.

Seeing as it's Thursday, once I get home I take the tiny laundry basket from my room, and head to the Laundromat. My brother isn't home surprisingly, but I know better than to think that he's actually up to any good. He got fired last week from KFC, and he's supposed to be looking for a job. Keyword: supposed to be.

But judging from last night, a job is not exactly what he's looking for.

***

The Laundromat is not far, and this neighborhood isn't too dangerous. Even if something was going to happen to me, I've got pepper spray. Plus, I still remember some moves from when I took Karate in fifth grade. I'll cut a bitch if I have to.

I put in some things to wash, and decide to get a bag of chips from the vending machine to eat. While I'm waiting for my clothes, I text Hailey to help her out a little with her English assignment. Ms. Howard gave her an extension...after endless begging.

"Hey," I look up from my spot against the wall.

Derek gives me a shy smile, and scratches the back of his head.

"Hi," I say hesitantly, and put my phone in my back pocket, "umm, are you stalking me?" If he is, then I swear I'm about to reach for the pepper.

"No," he says worried, and like finally realizing how I could consider this whole situation creepy. I mean, what's he doing at this Laundromat? What is he doing at a laundromat at all? His family's got money. I'm pretty sure they can afford a washer and dryer.

"So, what are doing here? Did your washing machine stop working too?" I ask jokingly, but still really curious for his reason to be here. He's not even carrying any clothes with him.

Derek looks at me confused, then it dawns on him, "Oh, right because the printer problem. No, my washer's fine. I just...saw you walking in here." Uhhh...

I take a step back unconsciously.

"No, no!" He puts his hands up in surrender, "I wasn't like following you. I was driving by, and I saw you enter. I thought I'd say hi you know?" He looks away embarrassed. And again, he looks... cute.

Suddenly I look away too, because now I'm blushing.

"Oh," is the only thing I can muster. Then when the timer goes off on the washing machine, I stumble over to take them out. Saved by the bell much?

"I'll help you!"

"No, no it's okay," I say but Derek's already taking the pile of wet clothes from my arms.

A pair of one of my underwear falls from underneath the pile. Before I know what I'm doing, I pick it up, and squeeze it into my free back pocket. My cheeks are now blazing, but I don't think he saw them fall.

Instead, he opens a dryer with one hand and places my clothes in. He doesn't wait for me to start it. He fishes his pocket for some quarters, and starts the machine himself. What a gentleman.

"You didn't have to do that," I say flustered, and look up at him.

"It's nothing," he says shrugging.

"Thanks," I say with a small smile that he returns.

"Oh, your shirt got wet."  I point to the big wet spot on his chest.

Derek looks down at it, "It's no problem. I've got a spare in my car." I nod, and notice a smudge of dirt on his cheek. Without thinking, I take a step forward, and reach up to wipe it.

He goes still, but I feel him instantly relax under my hand. My hand that happens to be lingering way too long on his face by the way. Move your hand, Jasmine.

But for some unknown reason my fingers stay put. And Derek doesn't say anything. He just looks down into my eyes. My heart starts pounding against my chest, and my stomach knots. I go to move my hand, but he grabs it. Keeping it in place, he leans forward, and my eyes start to drift closed.

Beep,beep,beep. I jump, and turn away quickly.

What are you doing back there Jasmine?!

I messily take out my dry clothes, and place them in my basket. I hear Derek behind me sigh...in disappointment? But he appears to recover, and gently takes the basket from me. I let him.

"I can give you a ride?" He offers, composing himself. I on the other hand am trying to wrap my mind around what was about to happen. I thought you wanted your first kiss to be with Jordan, Jasmine. Shhhh! I need to stop talking to myself.

"Umm, you don't have to. I live like right there." But he's already walking out, and waiting for me to follow.

"Okay," I say knowing he doesn't hear me.

I don't know what's happening to me, but Derek-

Derek places my things in the backseat of his car. I've never seen his car, but it's really nice. He holds the passenger door open for me, so I walk over.

-is starting to make me feel things.