Chapter 7, The Ginger Wolf With The White Sock

Chapter 7

Curling up in the large bed, Cody didn’t join me again tonight; not that I would blame him.

Something felt really off the last couple of hours and both Cody and Charlie had been really distant, leaving me with good old Gerald to entertain.

Trying to doze off, I must have tossed and turned for hours, rolling from one side of the bed to the other.  Something really didn’t feel right and it was really starting to get to me.

Finally deciding to give in, I climbed out of bed; pyjamas and all, dragging myself down the hall to the guest quarters to find Cody.

Since he was such an expert on all this mate stuff, maybe he’d know why I couldn’t sleep; it was so not like me.

Opening the door, only a faint scent of him filled my lungs as I looked around to the bed freshly made and looking empty like it hadn’t even been used tonight.

So if Cody wasn’t in bed, where was he anyways?

Walking down the stairs, Gerald sat in the lounge room, Xbox controller in his hands as he turned to look at me warningly.

‘Go back to bed Vera’.

What the hell, when did this guy get off bossing me around?

‘Where is everyone’?

Gerald ignored me, turning back to his game; ‘they’re out, now back to bed’!

Grumbling I stomped my way back upstairs, slamming Cody’s door behind me as I slumped onto the bed confused as ever.

What kind of pack operated in the late hours of the night like this; unless there really was something wrong and my gut was trying to tell me something.

Feeling my inner wolf deciding to speak up again, she pushed me to go to the window, wanting me to jump out and find my mate.

Resisting the urge, I slapped myself in the head before collapsing back into bed; this time pushing all the thoughts aside as I began to fall asleep.

Stupid head, if all it took was a little walk and to be barked at by Gerald; why couldn’t it have just said so!

The forest was dark, trees rustling from the strong winds.  The smell of blood filled my nostrils as I looked around to see a lone rogue lying on the ground, barely alive and holding another wolf by the scruff.

Standing there as a wolf myself, a small ginger coloured wolf with unusual markings popped out from the trees, his strong form clearly matched with speed.

Having a white front paw, his eyes locked onto me as he snapped in my direction; clearly wanting a challenge as I looked between him and the rogue lying in the grass.

His teeth bared, the ginger wolf lunged at me, his speed matching what I thought only a small she-wolf could possess, snapping at my ear as I quickly flew out of the way.

Turning to defend against his next attack, the wolf quickly grabbed hold of my tail before I could swing it out of the way; grabbing and chewing as he reeled me in like some piece of string.

Yelping in pain; it wasn’t until he let go and grabbed onto my hip making me yelp as loud as I knew my body would allow, hoping someone would hear me and save me from this slaughter.

Everything seemed so surreal; my mind was struggling to figure out if this was really happening,

Looking back at him as I bucked and kicked trying to shake him off, I saw the look in his eyes as his lips curled up into a smile; his teeth now digging in and ripping a huge piece of flesh from my fur I didn’t even think possible.