Chapter 24, Coming Home

Chapter 24

Alpha Keith directed his attention to me as the little questioning session began, my mind not prepared for what he was about to ask.  I had not shared the details of the Crescent Pack with anyone and I wasn’t overly keen to tell this stranger either.

His face seemed gentler, like he somehow sensed this information would not be so easy to gather, seeming to take it slow.

‘So Vera, tell me; you are born from the Crescent Pack so how did you meet my accomplice Seth’?

Hesitating, I must have been leaning into Cody as he tried encouraging me.

‘Well tell him’

‘He won’t like the answer…….’

Swallowing down my nerves, I thought maybe I could change the story a little and leave out some not so important details.

‘I was wandering around the pack territory and come across him; showing no aggression towards me; at the time, I took no notice of his presence, with him saying goodbye and farewelling me as he left’.

I could tell Alpha Keith was already uncomfortable with my story, already guessing the parts I did not mention as he questioned me further.

‘Then when did you see him again’?

These questions seemed off; like he was a little unsure of my honesty.

‘A couple of days ago in Cody’s territory’

Obviously trying to stop himself asking why I didn’t seem him for such a length of time, Alpha Keith seemed to consider his options.

‘You are off the hook for now Vera; I will be consulting with your Alpha further down the track and will be monitoring this new pack you have described north’.

That seemed too easy……….

Cody now shaking Keith’s hand, both men beared the look of exhaustion; their eyes giving away the amount of time they spent working and not relaxing.

Showing us to the door, the Alpha wanted us off his land quick smart, like we had committed a crime and the pack would not appreciate us being let go.

Rob ended up taking us to the border, as we met up with Cody’s wolf friend who I still had no idea who he was.

Standing there now in the land of no one, we stood there; Rob saying his goodbye, with me wondering how that kid Chase was getting on.

‘Good luck friends, hopefully next time you’re passing through, it will be on better circumstances’.

Nodding Cody turned to direct us into the trees, as I halted in place looking back at Rob.

‘Tell Chase, I’m sorry and I’ll see him again soon’.

Arriving back at Cody’s territory; it only took us a few hours to return which surprised me.

My wolf smelled the familiar scents of the pack I had grown to call my own as I bounded through the trees as my white wolf, hearing Cody following close behind me as the other wolf veered off towards the direction of the town.

‘It feels so good to be back’!

‘Really……I couldn’t tell’.

If Cody was going to start being a smartass now, he had another thing coming if he thought I’d let him walk all over me.

My wolf eager to howl to her heart’s content, I resisted the urge as I soon stopped in my tracks, just long enough for Cody to run past as I pounced on his back; my wolf playing with his ear as he seemed to try to throw me off.