Chapter 27, The Tenacious Beta

Chapter 27

Looking over at Rob, he simply sat there waiting patiently, like this meeting would only take minutes when in reality, it was going to take half the day most likely.

Deciding to break the silence, I flicked on the television, letting Halo roar to life as I began a level.

‘So….’

Rob looked at me like I was stupid; ‘of all the games you have, you play this one; no wonder you kill for fun’.

Getting a little agitated, I landed a head shot with my sniper on some random covenant, my now anger seeming to seep into the game.

The grunts were running around screaming at each other to get into position as they pushed and shoved to reach the building before I could shoot them; but being covenant, they were too slow.

‘What did Seth say to make you tear him apart like that’?

Seeing Charlie now step out of the office, this must have been the Alphas only section of their plan.  Charlie looked a little rattled not being included in the plans like he always was around here, I could just bet he was feeling a bit jealous.

Walking past to sit in one of the single seats, Charlie looked between me and Rob before he sat down, his body slumping into the couch.

‘He just said stuff……’

Rob didn’t seem to believe me as he scooted closer, earning a snarl from Charlie; who didn’t seem comfortable with this arrangement.

‘Don’t harm our Luna buddy or we’ll kick you out on your ass’.

Charlie was sort of hissing at Rob, like he didn’t want to challenge him but he wanted him to listen just the same……….which was strange.

Rob was almost whispering, his voice soft but having an edge to it.

‘You were ready to kill me Vera, you were going to tear him apart; I know that’s not the whole truth’.

Getting even more agitated, my skill on the game was now failing as my concentration swayed, now shifting to what Rob saying even though I was doing my best to ignore it.

‘It’s none of your business Rob’!

Charlie seeming to sense the heat in this conversation seemed to want to get away which was odd but I wasn’t going to complain.

‘I’m just going to go make some food; you guys seem to be having …a little argument’.

Skipping out of the room, I paused the game; my eyes now meeting Rob’s as I saw the challenge in them.

‘I was there, it is my business Vera’.

Growling, Rob didn’t back down; his eyes showing he was letting up until he got his answer.  He did scoot back a little, giving me my space like he could read my wolf was ready to go at him.

‘He deserved what he got’.

Seeing my abrupt answer, Rob went silent for a minute, considering how to proceed.

‘Where did you learn to fight like that, you don’t fight like any Luna I’ve met’?

That was a different way of approaching the question, smart but I was already seeing through how Rob was trying to get his answer.

‘It’s amazing what you learn when you’re on your own for a while’.

Rob’s mood changing as he seemed to wonder about something; he was back to his confronted approach again.