Chapter 36, Post War Meetings

Chapter 36

The silence that greeted me was peaceful, the pain seeming to have subsided in my chest.  Stirring in my sleep, I felt the sadness sinking in my stomach; my grieving beginning for my lost mate, he must have died, surely that was why the pain was gone?

Opening my eyes, my body felt warm as I looked down to see I was wrapped in some blanket, obviously having shifted sometime while I was asleep.

The couch I was sitting on confused me, why the hell was I asleep on a couch, weren’t we out at the rogue pack?

Looking around the room, I was alone; I was lying in some sitting a room, a small coffee table sat in the middle with more chairs surrounding it.

My eyes landed on the small pile of clothes sat on the edge of the table, a pair of pants with a shirt, whoever had forced me to shift obviously wasn’t up to dressing me in the process which actually made me happy.

Getting to my feet, I slid the blanket down onto the lounge, my head still feeling a little hazy as I remembered being thrown against some tree trunk multiple times.

Pulling on the clothes, I began walking around the room searching for clues.  The scent of wolves I didn’t recognise filled this room, although I could catch the faint scent of Rob, the guy I was going to hurt for knocking me out like that.

Growling, I walked over to the doorway, my head peering out to see no one around.  The house was empty and I definitely hadn’t been here before.

Stepping out into the hallways, I heard a soft groan coming from up the hall but it was enough for my wolf to have hope that it was Cody as I practically run to the door, my fingers beginning to curl around the knob as I feared what I would find on the other side.

Slowly opening the door, I must have been shaking with shock as my eyes locked onto Cody’s sleeping form, surrounded by wolves I didn’t even care about right now.

Immediately trying to go to him, I felt someone grab me in their hold; my face not even able to pull itself away from Cody.

‘Vera, he hasn’t healed yet, you need to give him space’.

It was Charlie who was holding me away from Cody, stopping me from going to my mate and feeling his warmth again.

Looking at him, my wolf just saw him as a restraint, my heart beginning to pump faster as I growled in his face.

Still not letting go, I averted my gaze to Charlie for a minute, noticing his battered state as well.

‘I have to go Charlie; let me go’.

Squirming in his grip, Charlie’s hand tightened around me, his body trying to take a step away and remove us from the room.

My wolf pushing herself to the front of my mind; I turned in his grip and sent a punch flying in his direction.

Charlie being the smart Alec he was withdrew one hand, now blocking my punch as I kicked him away; the force of my kick being enough for me to get away from him.

Practically stomping over to where Cody lay, my breath was coming out unevenly as I took in his injuries, bandaged up until he healed.

My rough breath was apparently quite loud as I felt someone place their hand on my shoulder, ‘he’ll be okay Vera; he’s slowly healing’.

The ability to cry seeming to be gone from my mind; I was just staring at Cody’s body, his pale still form making me sick to see him this way.

My hand reaching out to touch him, his skin was so cold; too cold for a wolf, Jeff had to be lying he couldn’t be alive.