The Interruption

We woke up to an alarm. Yes, we had a sleepover on a school night. It happens. You could see our hair was messy and he covers were all pulled to my side. Maren mumbled something I didn't hear, and probably didn't want to.

The click read '7:30'. " CRAP!" We said in unison. We both hopped out of bed and grabbed some clothes. I didn't have time to run a brush through my hair, so I put it into a bun. Maren, on the other hand, was wearing the perfect clothes and her hair looked as if it was straightened. We ran out the door.

It was raining, again. " Where's your car?!?" I asked, " It's at the shop! What abou- oh. Right," she said realizing that my car was also at the shop. She can be so stupid sometimes. I shrugged. "Well, what about the bus, shouldn't it be coming soon," I said, trying to make observations. " No, they come at 7:30 because we are the first ride," Maren said, the look of disappointment plastered on her face. I was out of solutions. The last thing we could do was walk; so we did. More like ran.

When we got to the school, the tips of my sweatpants were soaked and my sweatshirt was indeed also soaked. Meanwhile, Maren's outfit was super absorbent. The bell rang as soon as we walked in. We eyed each other and shrugged, running to our classes. We were in different classes first period, but we have the rest of the classes together.

I ran to world history and she ran Spanish. Yeah, Spanish in the morning, not a very good idea. I speak Spanish and French, and I can swear in all of them too. So I can tell you, it's conneries ( that was in French, look it up).

When I walked in, I see, what do I see? I see 2 pouffiasses (also in French) and some jocks. Nerds an hippies, all in they're own side of the room. As for I have no idea who I am. No label. I am just a girl, I guess. I read, write, sing, play instruments and blah blah blah.

I open Insurgent, which I had lost in my home library. I'm at the part where- wait, I don't wanna spoil. I lift my eyes from my book when I feel a tap on my shoulder. It's somebody with long nails. I turn to see Julia Sanders. Oh god. " Hey Mer! I love the pants! They draw the attention away from your face! And that sweatshirt, well I'd say you got that from my dad's closet!" She said as her and her 'friend', Halley laughed. " At least my dad isn't a drug addict," I mumbled, or, at least, tried to. Julia snapped her head in my direction. " What did you just say," she said in a tone that scared me shitless. Her dad, who was a famous actor, has had some run ins with the law and such. He is doing drugs now. He was gonna be in a movie, but I guess in the midst of filming he fainted and went into rehab.

"Another crazy celebrity on the loose," I said, " what did you say?" Answer me!" she yelled, earning constant stares from across the room. " I- I said-" " That's what I thought. Now stick your ugly little face back in your book,"she answered, not even letting me finish. " Wannabe," I whispered slightly, so quite that I could hardly hear myself. But, with the help of her bat ears, she heard me. She turned, stared deadly into my eyes, and smacked me clear across the face.

Nothing new. She turned back with a disgusted look. I smiled at the burning sensation on my cheek, thinking I won. That's when I realized I didn't. I never got the last word, and I insulted her and sank to her level. I'm confused. Man, I'm always confused.

Mr. Byer, my teacher, walked in with his briefcase and plaid tie. He sighed and looked at the ground. He seemed to try to collect himself. This only happens every once in awhile. I know what happens, though. He is single. His wife died from brain cancer and he signed up for some website that holds a mixer some times. He goes to few of them. Every time he goes he comes back with disappointment.

You may wonder how I know this. I only have 2 answers. 1) I am a very observant person. 2) I have no life.

He set his briefcase down and wrote some stuff on the board. He looked at all of us. " Waste of time. That's what we feel like. It's a waste of time. Just like World War 1. They could have just agreed no slaves or slaves. It was a complete waste,' he said with some sort of shimmer in his eyes. Not the good kind. I raised my hand. " Yes, Meredith," he said with a voice that sounded like he was going to fall asleep at any moment. " If there was no war, you wouldn't be here. Every person that died for us is the reason we are here today. Your mom wouldn't have given birth because your dad's father died in the war before he had you. He might've taken the wrong step which never led to your mom. Besides, we could all be slaves, black or white, depending on our wealth and depending on North or South, nobody knows what could've happened to us. We could never be alive, or work on plantations, or maybe even be the masters of the slaves. Either way, if there was no war, America would never have been a free country," I finished my long, point proving paragraph. Mr. Byer was absolutely speechless. It was a silence that felt like forever, until Mr. Byer decided to shatter it. " Nice point," he said with one eyebrow raised.

The bell rang. A smile crept on my face. First period, check. Now time for Health. Oh god.

As I was walking out, I looked down the crowded hall, searching for Maren. Just as I thought I spotted her, somebody roughly bumped into me. I fell to the floor along with another person on top of me. I looked up at the brown eyed kid. Jack Foster, I swear he's bad luck. " God. Not again! I am so so sorry!" he said to me. He was so close, I could feel his breath.

So awkward. " No no! It's fine. No harm-" " You must think I'm bad luck," he chuckled. He got up and reached out his arm, gesturing to help me up. " I gotta get to class," I said. " Um... Yeah me too," he said. Then, being the awkward person I am, I just walked away. No goodbye I just walked away.

There was just something about him that I couldn't explain. Ever. Something I've never felt. It's almost scaring me because I'm pretty sure people shouldn't make fireworks go off in your stomach if they just look at you. Uh oh.