Chapter One

I opened my eyes and felt good as new. The two Pokémon seemed to have wandered. I wasn't worried, since Spark probably let them out. I stood up and held my head. The fast movement made my head spin even more-so than before.

"Calm down, Candela. Spark? Are you there?" I waited a few minutes for an answer. My head continued to throb, but it also started to settle. When I finally scanned around, he was nowhere to be seen. Perhaps he went to take the Pokémon out, since they were also out of the room. I got out of the bed slowly to see if the nausea was still there. Since it felt faded, I headed out of the room.

The boat was still mobile; it'd probably take a few more hours before we made it to Sinnoh. I headed over to the dining hall. People were sitting down and interacting, but I didn't want to communicate at the time. My mind was wondering where Spark ran off to. Not wanting to be held back by greetings, I ran out of the area and went up the stairs.

I checked the deck first. So far, there were no signs of Spark. I looked over the side of the deck. The waves the boat made mesmerized me, but that wasn't the only thing that caught my eye.

Down below was Spark's Jolteon, who looked up at me when he sensed me. We locked eyes for a moment, but when I looked back the other direction, I saw a shadow that headed for the surface. I was about to shout, but it was already too late.

The Jolteon slipped, and my Flareon (who tried to support it) fell in along with it. I pulled out a pokéball to return my Pokémon, but she was too far away. I grabbed the bar to jump below but my shoes were not made for acrobatics.

Instead, gravity defied me and I had to hold on. A hand grabbed hold of me; it was Spark's. The boat rocked a bit more, and my whole body slipped further. I looked frantically for any sign of the two Pokémon, but they were already further out. I wasn't a great swimmer; my body was already sinking. I wanted to yell for my bird, but it was a lot harder to do than I thought. My eyes started to close.

I felt my heart slow down, but then speed up. I could feel the pain in my chest pull at me more. I wanted to move, but I felt prevented from doing so. It felt like a pile of bricks fell on top of me. I tried to move my arm, but my body felt paralyzed. I did see a light out of all the darkness. There was someone up ahead. I let out a scream, to let them know I was there.

"Spark... what happened?" I managed to move my body upward and winced when Spark turned on the light beside the bed. There was some sort of feather in a cup beside me—it glowed slightly as if it reacted to something. However, whatever caused it to glow must have finished its effects, since it started to fade. The Flareon beside me licked my fingers, as she looked healthy along with Spark's Jolteon.

"I don't know exactly. I tried to talk to the Professor about it, and he said a Pokémon must've caused it. That's when he recommended I find this. It wasn't easy." He picked up the feather and handed it to me. Curious, I took it and examined it closely. The feather was green and white, from a Pokémon that I couldn't quite make out. I was about to ask, but then I remembered what happened.

"There was... a dark figure. What was I doing until now, Spark?" my mind felt hazy. I gripped onto my head. When the feather touched my face, I calmed down a little.

"You were in a deep sleep. I thought it was because of the effects of the medicine, so I waited a bit, but..." he rubbed the back of his head.

"...For how long..." I wasn't known to be a heavy sleeper, so that should've given it away that something was wrong, but Spark did have a point that the medicine would've done the job.