Chapter Six

We said our goodbyes to Riley when we docked and managed to find a room that no one occupied at the Pokémon Center instead of the inn. Spark stared at his phone for a good five minutes and threw it on the bed. I rolled my eyes, moved from the wall I stood by and took out my phone.

I started to punch in Blanche's number and while I did so I took the spot next to Spark. He watched me and fidgeted in his seat, ignoring the phone that lay in front of him. I waited and waited, but it went straight to Blanche's voice mail.

Annoyed, I swiped Spark's phone and entered the number. It rang a few times and I muttered to myself while Spark hugged a nearby pillow. Once it got to the last ring, Blanche finally picked up.

"I was working on something... I hope this is important." Blanche sounded distressed and tired. I put the phone on speaker so they could hear both of us, and tugged on Spark's arm to get his attention.

"Candela wants me to talk to you, too..." he trailed off and was careful with his words.

"She's right, or I wouldn't be talking to you. Well? What do you have to share with us, Spark?" I looked at him and Spark gazed at his phone, staring at Blanche on the screen. The video call appeared on its own, since our phones had it as an automatic feature.

"I was in a lab in Johto, and I saw someone's experiment..." he spoke quietly, whatever enthusiasm he had was now gone.

"...And?" Blanche edged him to continue, but I stayed quiet.

"I saw a file. It had Team Valor's emblem on it, so I was curious. I knew this wasn't one of Candela's labs." He circled his thumbs while he paused. I raised a brow, wondering when he found the time to enter a lab while we were in Johto.

"I saw blueprints of some sort of device. They had a fire logo on it, I'm assuming for fire-types. There was a list of potential people for the experiment. A lot were already crossed out. Candela was on that list, and the scientist running the experiments... is Jasper." He curled up when he finished. I went over and rubbed his back, glad that he let it all out.

"I see... you couldn't report it because you have no evidence or theory on their project, I assume?" despite the dangerous news, Blanche stayed calm. I saw Spark glance at me, but his blue eyes looked glazed over.

"Yes, and they're also on Team Valor. I'd have to be careful to the authorities if I even wanted to pursue it. We should be safe, but Candela is not." I started to understand why Spark had a hard time telling me. However, this didn't explain how he managed to tell the league council girl, Lucienne.

"Spark, if only you told me sooner... I could've considered it. I'll look for this lab. You should stick with Candela." We both looked at the phone and I quickly grabbed it.

"You—" I narrowed my yellow hues at Spark when he tried to interrupt me. He waved his hand, giving me the chance to speak.

"You want Spark to stick with me? You of all people should know I'm able to handle myself no matter what the condition is, Blanche." It sounded dangerous, sure, but I was a team leader just like the other two. Besides, we already had this conversation before, so I didn't understand why we had this again.

"I would do it in Spark's place, but I'm not present. We should look out for each other, Candela. Spark, what did you want to say?" I glared at the phone and placed it in the middle of me and Spark, so Blanche could see the both of us clearly.

"...You're going to look for the lab? You have a lot to do already, Blanche, take it easy..." I watched Spark swirl his index finger against the covers in a repeating motion. I knew that deep inside, he was also worried about Blanche's safety. We weren't around Blanche, and that meant Blanche could be an easy target. Although Blanche was the strongest out of the three of us, they could still get captured just as well.