Chapter 23

“Blood Bound”

2012 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 23

     “It’s settled then,” Leo noted, running his hand through Shelby’s golden hair.  He could lie here all day and be content to just relish in the soft feel of the silken strands as they tickled his fingertips, but that wouldn't happen today.  He made his bride a promise and it was time to get moving.  “I’ll line things up with Ric to make sure the estate is taken care of while we're gone and at sun set we’ll go hunting.  Afterwards, I’m taking you, my beauty,” he tugged playfully on her hair to gain her attention, “On a honeymoon fit for a Queen.” 

     Shelby was lying across Leo’s chest, staring up at the ceiling with a huge smile on her face, enjoying the feel of his hands in her hair when that one word, ‘hunting’ fully registered.  She froze, knowing exactly what he was referring to and then pushed up on her elbows to stare back at him.  “I’m not going hunting,” she said stubbornly, her nose slightly upturned and her chin firmly set.  “And frankly, I would prefer that you didn’t either.”

     Leo raised a challenging brow at her.  “We’ve been over this my sweet, you have to feed and the only way to do that is to hunt.  It's what we are, it's part of our survival and I don't want to hear anymore of this not going hunting non-sense.  You'll go and you'll feed, end of discussion.”

     Shelby scoffed.  Leo stepped over the line with his dour commands of what she would and wouldn't do.  It was high time that he learned that she would not always appease him; especially in this.  Sitting fully up, she tossed her hands on her hips and narrowed her eyes on him. "You wanna make a bet?"

     He tried to hide his smile.  His bride had a temper and every time that it sparked, certain parts of his lower body seemed to come to life, in a really big way.  In a matter of seconds, he was so hard that he was pretty sure his groin was sporting an impressive zipper indention. 

     Slowly, he stood up, his much larger body dwarfing hers.  "Yeah, as a matter of fact, I do," he countered.  His face suddenly grew much more serious.  "You have to feed Shelby.  You're a vampire and vampires live on blood.  It's all part of the food chain and we're at the top of it.  Think of it as the circle of life."

     "Circle of life my ass."  She turned away from him, feeling disconcerted.  She strode over to the window, and peeked out, wrapping her arms around her middle.  "Anissa told me there was other ways.  She said something about blood bars.  I'll drink blood if it's given to me," she said turning back around to face Leo, "But I'm not a killer.  I will not kill just so that I can feed."

      Leo sighed loudly, his frustrations riding him hard.  "My sweet, they are only humans," he said, clearly exasperated with this discussion.  Why couldn't she just accept the inevitable?  "There are billions of them out there; no one will miss just one or two.  Blood bars are un-natural and disgusting.  I forbid you to ever step foot in one."

     "Forbid me?!" She exclaimed.  "Are you serious right now?"  She shook her head at him.  "I thought you knew me Leo, maybe I was mistaken.  No one forbids me to do anything, least of all you."  She left the window and went back over to the bed, dropping down on the edge.  "And, I still refuse to go hunting with you."