Chapter 32

“Blood Bound”

2012 Copyright All Rights Reserved

**Edited By LadyDawn

Chapter 32

Leo strode across the room and wrenched open the door with a heavy hand.  Ever since his earlier conversation with Alex, he was having a hard time tamping down the beast that lived inside of him.  Someone had wanted to hurt his Shelby, no they wanted to steal her away from him and kill her.  Not just her but his child too and that put him on the defensive.

“Here,” Alex thrust a small vile into Leo’s hand.  “Clara said to drink this in its entirety right before we go down for dinner.  It will counteract the effects of the bloodroot.  Mark will have it slipped into your wine so for appearances sake, you need to drink the entire glass and before dinner’s over, excuse yourself claiming exhaustion.  When you get back to your room, Tatiana should be here if Clara’s vision hold true.”

Leo took the vile and twisted off the top.  He was antsy but more than ready to have this done and over with.  He wanted to eliminate any and all threats to both his bride and their child.  Tilting his head back, he swallowed the bitter concoction in one gulp.  “Here,” he grimaced and handed the vile back to Alex.  “What about Ric and Tatiana?  They are going to be looking for Shelby.”

“At dinner, you will tell them that she is not feeling well.  You can also say something about how taxing the change has been on her, causing terrible migraine headaches.  I will mention the fact that we have placed her down in the Lucidio Rooms for her personal comfort.  If all goes as planned, that is where Ric and Isabella will go.  Clara has already placed wards on the rooms so that when they enter them and I close the door, they will not be able to escape.  Once you’ve dealt with Tatiana to your satisfaction, you can go downstairs and deal with them.”

Leo’s mouth tightened.  He no longer thought of Isabella has his mother.  He couldn’t- not after this betrayal.  He had warned her to back off and she didn’t.  Now she would pay the consequences.  Out of reverence for the woman that birthed him, he would make her death swift and as painless as possible.  That was all the quarter he could grant her.

But Ric, his servant, that was another matter entirely.  For years he trusted him with all of his most coveted secrets.  He had known about Shelby the moment that he fed her his life essence and bound them together.  Ric would pay for his betrayal.  He would pay dearly with both his blood and his life. 

“And what about Marko?” Leo asked, struggling to keep the hiss out of his voice.  “What will happen to him?  He can’t be allowed to get away with his part in this either.”

“He won’t,” Alex assured his friend.  “He is a council member and as so, the Council will deal with him accordingly.  We need to make an example of him.  We cannot let him set a precedent before the war even begins.  His death will be a public execution.  More than likely the Council will choose sun poisoning so that his suffering is great and everyone will know that the Council has a no tolerance policy against vigilantes.”

“I understand,” Leo grumbled.  He did understand but even knowing what was to come for the back stabbing Council member, it still wasn’t enough to calm his beast.  “I want five minutes with him.  Five minutes alone is all I’m asking for with no questions asked.  You can at least afford me that much, Alex.”

Alex frowned and shook his head.  “I’m not going to make any promises but I’ll see what I can do.  We may be considered monsters in our own rights but we still have rules to adhere to.  It would be wise of you to remember that, Leo.”

Leo closed his eyes and sighed.  The empty ache in his head was beginning to wane on him.  So quickly he had become accustomed to having Shelby’s presence with him at all times.  Now that she was gone, the stillness in his head threatened to consume his sanity. 

Opening his eyes he pinned Alex with his glare.  “See that you do,” he said gruffly.  “You know what this means to me- to us.”

“That I do,” Alex told him.  “Are you ready for this?”

Leo adjusted the cuff on his wrist.  “Is everything set up down stairs?”

“Yes, and I’ve also received word that Marko and your mother have arrived.”

“Good, then I’m ready.  The sooner we get this farce of a dinner over with, the sooner that I can exact my revenge.” 

Alex dipped his head and stepped to the side to give room for Leo to walk past him.  “You know that I was a good friend of your fathers for a very long time.  I may not have always agreed with his ideas of grandeur for our kind but the man, the man that he had been was good.  You are like him in many ways, Leo.  The man I knew.  I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor tonight.”

Leo stepped by him and stopped just outside the door.  He didn’t bother to turn around.  “I won’t need any luck tonight Alex.  I have skill on my side as well as another very powerful weapon that those who dare to aspire against me don’t have.  I have love.  I have felt and experienced a deep love that very few of our kind will ever know.  That sound love that I share for my Shelby and our unborn child will be my single driving force.  Tonight is a done deal.  For your own safety I suggest you stay out my way.  Blood will run and mark my words, it won’t be mine.”      

Without another word, Leo stalked off towards the dining room.  He was tense and battle ready. 

Alex watched him leave and let out a deep sigh of his own.  History would be made tonight.  Clara’s disturbing vision began a little over fifteen years ago and was coming to a head on this night.  All these years they had prepared for this.  This moment.  This time. 

And now it has come.  He couldn’t help but to worry for what may or may not happen.  So much weighed in on this night.

Walking out of the bedroom, Alex closed the door behind him and began his trek towards the dining room with so many rampant thoughts weighing heavily on his mind.  Most importantly, Clara’s latest vision of what was supposed to happen tonight.  They had done everything they possibly could to get ready and now it was in the hands of fate. 

Clara, I sure hope you're right, he thought to himself when he pushed open the door to the dining room where everyone was beginning to take their seats.  The gong like chimes from the Grandfather clock in the foyer began to strike on the hour.  He noted Marko and Isabella taking their seats as well as Leo and several other notable vampires finding their seats as well.  His studious gaze met with Victor's and Victor gave him an imperceptible nod to let him know that everything was set up as they had discussed. 

It was time.  If Clara’s vision were to come to pass then tonight would only be the beginning.  The beginning of not only the end but the beginning of all the hell that was to soon to come.