Chapter XIV

They rode down to the coastline, enjoying the salty taste of the sea breeze blowing their way.

"What is it about Ga Eul that is worrying you?" Ji Hoo was more concerned for the black haired girl than he would have let on to his girlfriend.

"She's been acting weird lately," Ja Rin sighed. There was really no other way to put it. "She keeps telling me that she's just taken up a new job and that's what's wearing her out, but I don't believe her. She wouldn't tell me what she's doing or where the job is, and it's exactly at the one time I can't sneak out and follow her. Something is definitely wrong. I need to know what."

"What is this time?" Ji Hoo asked, curious that it was something this important, but Ja Rin was unable to free up the time fo check on Ga Eul.

"Every Monday, between six and seven in the morning. I can't go because that's the time that Joo Win dono briefs me for the week. He's rarely around in person, so I'm the one that substitutes for him." Ja Rin looked slightly downcast.

"Don't worry about it. I start school late on Mondays, and it's still the holidays. I can check up on her as soon as tomorrow." Ji Hoo put an arm about her shoulders and held her close. "You really shouldn't worry. I'll find it out for you."

"I know." She smiled, leaning contently against the powerful body next to her, her head resting directly beneath his chin, over his heartbeat.

"Are you cold?" Ji Hoo asked, settling her more comfortably against him, so that she was shielded from the now stronger wind whipping her hair.

"I'm fine." She had been cold, but no more. He was so warm, and it felt good, being with him like this. She felt safe for the first time in eleven years.

That was a notion that really scared her. Since they had been kidnapped, Ja Rin had never felt secure, and much to Ga Eul's exasperation and worry, she had always been on sky high alert. She just couldn't calm down, couldn't sit still, and her insomnia only grew worse with each day. The feeling of being lost, when Ga Eul was knocked out, terrified her. Even now. She had only one comfort, the only safety she felt, was with Ga Eul and that had been threatened at the very roots. It scared her, that if she was safe with someone, she might lose that person, so she stayed aloof. Always giving everyone the safety they needed, the company and fun, but never close enough to get their love. Always just out of their reach.

And for some reason, she was feeling safe with Ji Hoo. She liked the feeling, yet feared it with all her heart. How this was going to turn out, she had no idea. But right now, they both just wanted the comfort of being together.