99 Red Balloons

I could hear Dereck on the other side of the wall, as well as his old radio playing the news. I paid attention to the things the young-sounding man said.

-"The USSR tested the new and powerful nuclear weapon in the Barents Sea this Sunday afternoon. It is the most destructive weapon the Soviet Union has ever created. USSR leader Nikita Khrushchev has stated that it would not be used until extreme cases. So, the question is: The recent American nuclear testings pissed us off, and now we are backfiring? "

I remember closing my eyes and imagining: what did Dereck looked like? I really hated that great wall that divided us. He always told me how his family stayed in East Berlin the day the construction began. I tried finding them, but there has never been success.

-Hey, Ericka! -Dereck shouted, but I couldn't hear him clearly
-What's going on? -I answered
-Tomorrow is your birthday, right?
-Yes. Why?
-What do you want from the American side?'
A smile was inevitable
-Are there any Captain Kirk comics left?
-It's not "Captain Kirk Comics" they're called "Star Trek"
-Whatever -I laughed. But, even though it is my birthday... I want to give you something special.
-I don't want anything from the Soviet side. I bet you only have propaganda books or something like that. -Dereck said in a sarcastic way.
-You're very funny. What about balloons? I know it's not much but... What else can I buy with 100 Marks?
-You would really make my day, Ericka. But, first can you do me a favor?
-Sure.
-Can they be red balloons?
-Of course -I shouted. -See you near the checkpoint.
I walked away the Berlin Wall. I don't remember ever looking back. The soldiers that guarded the place always stared at me as I stepped over the mud that covered the street. The sky was gray, as well as the buildings that were made out of bricks. The time I took walking from the Wall to my house was enough for me to think about; How was life before we were divided? The construction began when I was two years old. Now, in 1972 everybody has forgotten the ones in the other side, except for me. I met Dereck a few years ago when I was taking a walk along the path besides the brick mountain. I remember hearing someone crying for help, he was asking for someone to look for his parents. He had been doing that everyday since he found out his parents were in East Berlin, in 1968.
Finally, I arrived to my house. Everyone would say I lived in a palace, but that was just because they couldn't look inside. Vladimir was a man that took care of me. He was a Russian-German Soldier who fought in WWII. A hot chocolate would always be waiting for me in the living room. The smell covered the first floor with an intense delicious combination of dust, fire, and black chocolate. I never found Vladimir awake. After finishing my drink, I stepped inside the blankets of my bed, and fell asleep in a rapid way.

The next day was beautiful. It was the first time in weeks the sun finally showed up. Everybody took their cars and went to work, but the first thing I did was running towards Mrs. Mallory toy shop.
-Do you have any red balloons left?
-Well, I got a bag full of 99 red balloons. -She said in a smily and cheerful way.
-And... How much does it cost?
-200 Marks, sweetheart
-I only have one hundred -My voice automatically changed
She looked at me and said:
-Ok, I will sell them to you at 100. Just don't tell my husband. Deal?
-Deal! -I put my coins in her table and walked away with the bag of 99 red balloons. Again, I had to take this long walk towards the Wall. When I arrived, I noticed something strange. There were no guards in the place. Neither in West Berlin.
-Dereck? -I shouted.
-Got the red balloons? -He replied in a cheerful way.
-Of course I have them!
-Oh, by the way... Happy Birthday, Ericka!
-You are still not funny. Oh, by the way... Where is my Captain Kirk Comic?
-Star Trek. Here it is.
After a few failed attempts, the comic finally flew to my side.