This is it

We were hiding behind an old bed, a man was looking around the place with a gun in his hand. He was moving things, getting closer and closer to us.
Vladimir hold his rifle next to his elbow and prepared to shoot. I closed my eyes...
-We have to go, Herr! There are american soldiers looking around. -Said one of them.
Everyone left in a hurry, but even after everyone was gone I still could not open my eyes.
-It's ok, Ericka. They're gone. Everything is fine, trust me.
-Make it stop, Vladimir. Please.
-I'm sorry darling, I'm afraid I'm not able to stop the war. But, here. I'm going to make you a promise.
-Please tell me we are going to be alright -I said in a terrified tone.
-Yes, we are. We'll get out of Berlin as soon as possible. My mom used to live in Wittenberg, not far away from here. I'm sure there are no Americans or guns there.
-Is she still living there? I mean, your mama
Mr. Schröder did not say anything, he just looked at me as his eyes filled with water.
-Let's get out of this place. It's getting dark now, get some sleep. We will leave as soon as the sun rises.
I said yes with my head and stood up. My heart was still beating rapidly, I could not get those thieves out of my head.
-Can we stay here? I don't want to go upstairs. It's safer here.
-Of course, let me get some pillows and blankets. I'll be right back.
Vladimir went upstairs, and the silence took over the whole basement. I'm sure there was no noise in the streets either. "This is it" I thought. We are actually escaping from Berlin.

I could not sleep that night, I was full of fear. Mr. Schröder stayed awake with me all night, doing a map.

 Schröder stayed awake with me all night, doing a map

-Ok. First of all, I need you to know that this is going to take time. It will take at least 20 hours by foot if we do not make any stops. We will get some sleep every now and then, so it will take more than a day. Be aware of principal roads and avenues, because soldiers usually walk over there. I'll carry a radio in case there are any news from the government.
-I'm not sure about this... What if we get caught?
-I'm not gonna lie to you, what we're doing is extremely dangerous. If Americans take us, then we are not going to see the sunlight anymore. If Germans take us, then we will not see each other in a long time. Im going to become a soldier.
-Then, let's stay here! Let's wait for the war to end at home.
-We cannot do that honey, this place is going to become a blood fest. And war is not ending soon, these countries have been fighting for ten years and this is only getting started. If we get out of this city, then we are going to be safer. During the next months we are going to get out of the country, somewhere completely safe.
-Are you going to stay with me?
-Yes, Ericka.
After hearing him say that, I calmed down and finally get some sleep. That next days were going to be tough.

Mr. Schröder took my hand that morning and said it was time to go. Seeing that grey and precious palace for the last time was heartbreaking. All the memories, this was my home since I remembered. There was nobody on the streets, so getting through the first blocks was not difficult. But, as soon as we got closer to the local hospital, things started to change...