Day 1

I didn't want to wake up later that day, I didn't want to see Vladimir, and I couldn't stop thinking about Dereck. In two days, Mr. Schröder would leave me alone and become a soldier. 
I heard someone knocking on my door, I was hoping it wasn't Vladimir.
-Good morning, Ericka. Breakfast's ready. Do you want to come?
I didn't answer, I just looked away.
-Come on, we will read the newspaper together!
-The least I want to do now is reading the newspaper.
-Ok, then we will listen to the radio.
-We live in East Berlin, everything is propaganda.  -I answered in a low tone.
-Look Ericka, I don't know why you are mad at me, because it should be the opposite way. I want to spend these last days only with you, because what I said yesterday is no joke. I am leaving for war, and maybe I will die. Only God knows. I will take you to my uncle's today, so that you two can talk and get to know each other. Then, we can go to the park I told you about, and spend the entire afternoon together.
The smile in his face wasn't false anymore. I kissed him in his right cheek and said yes with my head.

It was midday, and Vladimir and I were riding the bus towards a neighborhood called: "Blankenfelde" which totally looked like another city. We were both looking at the window. East Berlin was not a bad place, it was actually so nice... There were children walking in the streets, while playing with an old football. There were shops, all of them managed by the government. There was a part, in which the bus passed besides the Great Wall. I could barely see West Berlin, but I suppose people lived a happier life over there.
Before arriving, we stopped in the middle of the forest. There was complete silence, the only noise I could hear was my breathing. In this part of the city, the sun shined so bright, but the enormous trees protected us from it. I felt like I was in another place, there were no propaganda signs and no soldiers, but beautiful birds and a crystal-clear river. Time passed so fast... It was time to go.

The town was small, even though it was part of Berlin. The houses looked different, they were all one-story buildings and all of them were made of bricks. In the far end, there were tall apartments that blocked the view towards the mountains. We walked a few blocks before arriving to my future home. It had a small garden, full of flowers and a small water fountain. The windows were well cleaned, and there was smoke coming out of the chimney. Vladimir knocked the door, and almost immediately someone opened the door.
-Vladimir? -The man asked. He looked younger than Mr. Schröder.
-Yes. -He said with a big smile, I loved how happy this man was.
-It's been so long... Since 1946 I think
-You're right. It was my welcome party, remember? At mama's house.
-And you had a beautiful daughter -He said while looking at me.
-She is not my daughter. She is my soul mate.
I couldn't believe what Vladimir had just said, and made me want to destroy the USSR, so that he didn't have to leave.
-Please come in -the man said nicely
-Thank you, Audrick.
We all sat down in the living room, and the serious part started.
-As you may notice, we come for a reason. Yesterday, a Soviet general came to our house and said that I am coming back to the battlefield. He said that a truck would come and pick me up in Saturday.
-Why didn't you say no?!? You could have just shut the door and nothing would have happened!
-You don't understand how this world works, do you Audrick? If they want me to go and fight again, I do it. If they want me to go to America, I go. It's not that easy.
-And what's going to happen to....
-Ericka. -Vladimir answered rapidly
-Yes, Ericka.
-This is why I'm coming. We have no family right now, but each other. Can you take care of her while I am not here? -His voice was cutting, and one tear dropped from his eyes.
-I don't know, I have to work and I don't know a thing about children.
-Please, you and I are the only people she has.
"And Dereck" I thought. I could not be mad at him, he has no fault.
-Give me a day to think about it. I'll call you tomorrow morning. -Audrick said while writing Vladimir's phone number in a piece of paper.
-You don't know how grateful I am right now -I told him. He just took my hand and said to my ear:
-I am going to take care of you until my uncle comes back. I promise, I will protect you from anything and we will both pray at night for Vladimir, ok?
-Ok -I answered.

That was the best afternoon in my life. Mr. Schröder and I spent the entire day at the park, just as he said. I couldn't believe that would be my last day entirely with him...